• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sirjordanncurtis' Tetramorium immigrans colony

ant journal tetramorium tetramorium immigrans immigrans sirjordanncurtis polygynous

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 15 2018 - 9:26 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I found these queens a while back on a silver Prius. All of the three apparently turned out to be fertile. I didn't want to start a journal about them until now, because I didn't want to mess them up completely even before nanitics arrived. Thankfully, these aren't very hard to maintain. One of them decided to keep part of her wings, and slice off the back end, so I guess she won't have any wing scars...

I put all three of these in the same test tube, since I didn't have enough for them to all be together. They are known to be polygynous in the founding stages, but I hope there won't be any fighting among them afterwards.

.cVVxnWwl.jpg

I always take really awful photos during the founding stage... sorry. That's them the 4th day since capture.

cIkqIrT.jpg

H0BGp7s.jpg

7RlLTQB.jpg

I took these pictures on July 16th. They have around 25 or so workers now (nanitics), and I'm surprised that none of the queens have been killed - yet. They have quite a bit of brood still here.

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 15 2018 - 12:19 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I found these queens a while back on a silver Prius. All of the three apparently turned out to be fertile. I didn't want to start a journal about them until now, because I didn't want to mess them up completely even before nanitics arrived. Thankfully, these aren't very hard to maintain. One of them decided to keep part of her wings, and slice off the back end, so I guess she won't have any wing scars...

I put all three of these in the same test tube, since I didn't have enough for them to all be together. They are known to be polygynous in the founding stages, but I hope there won't be any fighting among them afterwards.

.cVVxnWwl.jpg

I always take really awful photos during the founding stage... sorry. That's them the 4th day since capture.

cIkqIrT.jpg

H0BGp7s.jpg

7RlLTQB.jpg

I took these pictures on July 16th. They have around 25 or so workers now (nanitics), and I'm surprised that none of the queens have been killed - yet. They have quite a bit of brood still here.

Wow! Lucky! This sounds promising. Fingers crossed :D

Please keep us updated.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 15 2018 - 1:43 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Wow! Lucky! This sounds promising. Fingers crossed :D

Please keep us updated.

Lol, they're pretty much an invasive species here. There were around 150 queens on the car. I just grabbed the fattest ones I could find.

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 15 2018 - 5:14 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
They don't really displace other native species though. In my area they are naturalized, and I have never seen them kill any species but each other and argentines.

Then again, they are technically invasive ;).

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 26 2018 - 5:23 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Update:

I've been feeding them some sugar and fruit flies recently. Also attempted to create a makeshift outworld out of a plastic container, but some of the workers escaped. Don't really want to stress them out too much when I feed them, but they also always crowd around the tiny hole in the outworld, which makes feeding them extremely difficult. Side happy note: still 3 queens, also noticed some more balanced and larger workers near the brood, so this might be the ending of the nanitic batch.

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, July 26 2018 - 5:55 PM.

• dermy likes this

#6 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 26 2018 - 5:57 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Disclaimer: for those of you who have questions as to why dermy liked the previous post, I plead the fifth

#7 Offline Enderz - Posted July 27 2018 - 2:49 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Disclaimer: for those of you who have questions as to why dermy liked the previous post, I plead the fifth

Dermy showed me, good luck out there little guy :lol: .

• LC3 likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, tetramorium, tetramorium immigrans, immigrans, sirjordanncurtis, polygynous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users