• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Would a semi-claustral queen leave the nest once it was already established?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 14 2018 - 5:51 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Today i found a Trachymyrmex septentrionalis queen with one wing wandering about 6 inches away from a nest entrance. while watching her she entered and exited the nest several times. I collected her but then decided to release her as i assumed she was a damaged alate and unmated. She immediately returned to the colony and i didn't see her again. Later, after catching two additional trachy queens, i decided to dig up an established colony to steal some of their fungus garden to help my queens. I chose the colony i had seen the alate at b/c i assumed it was definitely pretty large as it was producing alates and could handle my disturbing them. When i dug it up i only found about 20-30 workers and a single fungus chamber immediately below the surface, along with the same, single winged alate who was surrounded by workers. I took some of the fungus and left the rest. Thinking the ants would move it deeper into a part of the nest i had not uncovered. I returned a few hours later to find roughly the same number of workers and the same single winged alate, they had made a little chamber in the same area around the alate and were moving the garden into that chamber, they had not moved deeper into a nest nor had any more workers appeared. I then collected the alate and 5 workers and the garden. The workers are currently tending the alate and garden. Could i have dug up a founding colony?

Edited by SuperFrank, July 14 2018 - 5:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users