• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Post Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Post Etiquette (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you read the Rules, Important Topics section, and the various pinned instructional topics throughout the forum?

1. Yes, I understand it all. (15 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Yes, but I do not understand some of it or all. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, I do not care to. (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. No, I did not know they existed. (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 13 2018 - 5:38 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I have a serious question: do any of the newer people even read the Important Topics area in the top right of the home page?  Have people even read the ID Posting format drew has listed at the top of the ID Request thread?  

I ask this because I've noticed many posts lacking these things over a good number of months, and I guess it hasn't really been addressed upfront.  

Maybe with this poll, something can be fixed to where new members can be directed to these helpful topics and improve the overall quality of their posts.

Any member of any membership length can take part or comment in this, to make that clear.

Edited by Zeiss, July 13 2018 - 7:33 PM.

• dermy, Martialis, Enderz and 1 other like this

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 13 2018 - 10:09 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Can't be too hard on them, sometimes they're just kids.
  • VoidElecent, AntsMaryland and Lazarus like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 13 2018 - 10:20 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

That doesn't really matter, it's still proper to follow how you are supposed to use this forum.  I understand them messing up the first couple times, but some of them do not even try to read around.  

• gcsnelling, dermy, Martialis and 1 other like this

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 14 2018 - 2:39 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Feel free to PM every violator you see, Zeiss.  Teach these kids some post etiquette.

• Gabraime likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted July 14 2018 - 2:49 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

While I would agree with this, but most forums on the internet require you to be at least 13 years of age, or have a parents consent or something when registering. At the age of 13 you should be able to read, and you should be able to see "Important Topics" or "Rules" as Important things to read.

• Martialis, Enderz and AntsMaryland like this

#6 Offline Enderz - Posted July 14 2018 - 2:53 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Feel free to PM every violator you see, Zeiss.  Teach these kids some post etiquette.

Maybe if these children learn they could become helpful to this forum and add to posts or topics, instead of just clogging up the sidebar with useless "ID threads" in which no pictures or measurements are shown.

We are reduced to having to explain it to them in a reply over and over again, which can get quite annoying after a while but must be done (unless you just want a forum full of uneducated children).

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 14 2018 - 3:27 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Is it wrong to want others to know how to navigate the forum to their best abilities and gain the most from the vast amount of topics available for them?  Is it wrong to help others learn how to be helpful to themselves and everyone else?  I am not here to attack people; I am here to understand if there is anything that could be improved upon to enhance a new member's first experiences with the community while also making it easier on mods (or other members).  Consistently reminding those of the forum's rules or other need-to-know topics does get old over time.  Attempting to improve the overall quality of posts and the atmosphere of the forum can not be done if posts such as above are made.  Being a longtime member of this forum, I would like your genuine input on what you think can be done to make everything a bit more positive, possibly captivating newcomers to the hobby and world of ants.  

Obviously for a while that you seem to target me in certain topics, and I am not sure why you are behaving as such.  If I had done something in the past to upset you, I do not remember what that may have been, but it most certainly must have been childish and I apologize.  I admire how much effort and thought you put into your products and I think your products are of high quality and would like to get heading down a better path.  So please, if you have any quarrel with me, I would love to discuss it (in public or privately) and come to a conclusion instead of continuing what has been done and is happening.  

• Enderz and AntsMaryland like this

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 14 2018 - 4:26 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

All I can say is good luck. Todays crop of people posting want to do their own way, no reading or following posted forum rules. I think they should be required to read and agree to the rules before they can complete the registration process so at least they can't say "but I didn't know" when called out about something.

• dermy, Martialis, BobJ and 1 other like this

#9 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 14 2018 - 7:49 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

All I can say is good luck. Todays crop of people posting want to do their own way, no reading or following posted forum rules. I think they should be required to read and agree to the rules before they can complete the registration process so at least they can't say "but I didn't know" when called out about something.

I like this idea but I highly doubt they will even read it. I think the forum needs something like the picture below. The biggest problem is clearly the ID threads so why not make it mandatory to fill the 9 categories and post pictures before you can even upload.

bgx61CTl.png

• Spamdy likes this

Check our my store here!

#10 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 23 2018 - 1:37 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

I like this idea but I highly doubt they will even read it. I think the forum needs something like the picture below. The biggest problem is clearly the ID threads so why not make it mandatory to fill the 9 categories and post pictures before you can even upload.

I don't think a shipping address would be a good idea to be made public, just your county or city would be fine.  We would need people to read the "How to Post Photos" in Important Topics before any photos could be posted.  Even then, people get lazy and post links when it is so easy to embed their images.  

#11 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 23 2018 - 1:41 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Also, for those who voted they do not care, what are your reasons to not care about any of these topics?

#12 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 23 2018 - 1:53 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
I was talking about replacing the current categories in the picture with the 9 required ones to create an ID thread.

Check our my store here!

#13 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted July 23 2018 - 1:58 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I don't think a shipping address would be a good idea to be made public, just your county or city would be fine.  We would need people to read the "How to Post Photos" in Important Topics before any photos could be posted.  Even then, people get lazy and post links when it is so easy to embed their images.  

I think rbarreto's example wasn't supposed to be exactly what is required for an ID thread, just an example of what they were trying to say. There is a template for ID threads that very few people use, but is extremely helpful to figuring out what genus or species the op is looking at. If you took the template and made it like the shipping address where some fields are mandatory and some are optional, it would make it both easier for the person looking for an ID to follow the template and force them to include a minimal amount of information to post the request.

• dermy likes this

#14 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 23 2018 - 2:19 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

I understand now.  I agree, making the template something that needed to be filled out to post in the ID Request section would definitely make everything go over more nicely. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users