• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

super_oil's Camponotus floridanus Journal [Bad Pics]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline super_oil - Posted November 18 2017 - 9:57 AM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Introduction

Camponotus floridanus was one of my dream species when I started keeping ants. Their polymorphism and bright color made me love them. As one of my first colonies, keeping this species is truly a wonderful experience. Floridanus' large size allowed me to easily observe them, from hunting fruit flies to interacting with the larvae. I've learned so much about ants by studying them and I hope to keep them as long as I can.

Late May, 2017

I caught the queen from the black light, after being in the test tube for 3 days, she shed her wings and laid eggs. The color of this queen is on the darker end of the spectrum for this species. The thorax of the queen can very from bright yellow to dark red.

IvEfzPc.jpg

Early July

The first workers emerge after a little bit over a month, the colony is starting and eating well.

vFZZKPN.jpg

August

By this time I've moved them into a small formicarium (Mini-Hearth by THA). The colony is still doing okay but my inexperience with ant keeping didn't allow them to reach their maximum potential. I didn't know how to heat them and was only feeding them weekly.

LdNVs1c.jpg

November 17th

The climate is getting cold but I don't think this species needs to hibernate. I started heating the colony and feeding them a lot more often. The colony is doing much better now and the queen is producing much more eggs than ever. At this time there are around 15 pieces of brood. The surplus of food and some heating helped the colony produce it's first larger larvae, which turned into a pupa (shown in the picture below). Currently I am uncertain if the pupa will eclose into a major or simply a larger worker.

image.jpg?width=894&height=671

Edited by super_oil, December 5 2017 - 6:10 PM.

• dermy, Aaron567, T.C. and 4 others like this

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted November 18 2017 - 11:18 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

That color variation is awesome looking. I think it's weird that some species seem to have different variants of color depending on colonies or location..

• super_oil likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted November 18 2017 - 12:32 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Nice colony, and those pictures aren't half bad. ;)

• super_oil likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline super_oil - Posted July 13 2018 - 10:47 AM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

July 13th

I just got a new macro lens for a phone recently and took some pictures and a video. The colony didn't increase much in population so far. About 20 workers with 30 pieces of brood. The pupa that I thought was going to turn into a dwarf major was actually a male, I did get to see him before the workers tore him into shreds tho.

Fg7MsUS.jpg

Video:

Edited by super_oil, July 13 2018 - 10:55 AM.

• giraffedom, Karma and WanderAnts like this

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users