• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Design requests, pre-drafting design ideas & other contraptions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Trythis22 - Posted July 9 2018 - 7:18 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Hi guys. I'm just going to be dumping all my ideas here instead of creating a new thread for each one. They are for inspiration for you guys and possibly prototype building as well. I will periodically drop in to share my designs - If any readers are interested in any particular design, I'm willing to take suggestions and move it forward to 3D drafting. However, you must be willing and able to work with me to solve design problems. When it comes to the finalization stage, I will make sure the end product is affordable and easy to build. Replication is the goal. Before finalization I will build a prototype for myself to make sure it works on real ants. I am focusing 90% of my efforts on my current type V formicarium and this is just for fun, but these will always be opportunities for the future. 

All comments and suggestions are welcome. 

PusjtfD.jpg

Other misc:

I looked into pervious concrete and perlite concrete as potential materials to use, but grout has a better thermal conductivity rate. Crystals, whether you knew it or not, you've done your homework. 

I am still looking for ideas regarding ladders that ants effectively use. I'm thinking vinyl tubing with substrate glued onto the surface will work, but are there any other options? 

Diagram of heat pump - I might be able to do something like this for ants? I'd need someone who knows about HVAC systems to work with me though. 

3ju8ehd.jpg

• Martialis likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users