• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is hot glue going to work??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted July 26 2018 - 1:24 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

Hi guys I'm making some formicariums and I read somewhere on here that hot glue can be chewed threw by some ants?? (I think they said Tetra. but don't remember) I have a monomorium minimum (or at least I think that's what they are) that could really use a bigger space but upon testing my DIY outworld it turns out they can get through some unknown small speck of a gap in my silicone job. I was wondering if I could use the hot glue to just seal up over the silicone or just remove it all together and put hot glue there instead. Any thoughts? 

Edited by DoctorlyRob, July 26 2018 - 1:24 PM.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 26 2018 - 1:43 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I don't know about them chewing through it, but you should know that hot glue loses all of its adhesion if it is too moist.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted July 26 2018 - 1:48 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

Oooh thanks for that surely useful knowledge, I think I can just put it on the outside of the nest so it won't be exposed to any moisture in the outworld/nest

#4 Offline Hunter - Posted July 26 2018 - 2:38 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

My Camponotus pennsylvanicus and nova, as well as creamatogaster have chewed threw industrial hot glue.

#5 Offline Penguin - Posted July 26 2018 - 4:29 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

You could use 2 part epoxy, BUT you would have to keep them away from it as it may be toxic (while it cures, after it cures I believe it's fine)

• Lazarus likes this

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#6 Offline Trythis22 - Posted July 26 2018 - 5:01 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

So you messed up your silicone job. Take a razor blade, peel off the silicone and try again. We all learn from trial and error and with practice we all get better at our craft. I'm not sure about the details of your DIY formicarium but if you are attaching two unwieldy pieces that you cannot use c-clamps on, using scotch tape to hold the pieces together while the glue works will help. You must give the silicone time to cure and harden, depends on temp and moisture (24-48 hours is okay). A caulk gun will help you apply silicone much better if you are not using one(?) and if your outworld is big enough, you can use a gloved finger to compress, clean and apply even treatment of the silicone. Any mineral spirit/vinegar/paint thinner/etc. will help clean up residue before and after. 

I mean, it probably took you less than a minute to apply the silicone, right? Why not take this opportunity to learn from your mistake and do it right this time? There are many tutorials available online on how to properly do 99% of anything an ant keeper would want to do. 

On the other hand silicone will bind to silicone very nicely. If your hole truly is just a small one, why use a different material to repair the hole? Just clean the area to bond, use the same silicone and give it time to work. 

• DoctorlyRob likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users