• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 ID requests from Portland, OR/Portland suburb

id request

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antmisbehavin - Posted July 1 2018 - 8:06 PM

Antmisbehavin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have two ID requests.  The first is I assume a queen; it was collected two weeks ago, June 16, next to the parking lot of Hagg Lake, which is about 20 miles outside of Portland.  It had wings when first spotted and was solitary.  It has now laid at least ten eggs.  I'd say it's about 15 mm if I'm measuring correctly.  It looks to me to be pretty solidly black, with maybe a bit of alternating lighter/darker stripes on the gaster. 

Ant 1 also
Ant 1 again
Ant 1:  What kind of ant is this?

The next are a group of three ants that a friend found and captured for me in her backyard in Portland, about 10 days ago.  All three had wings at first, but two have lost their wings since.  I had trouble getting good photos of them and measuring them.  I think they are at most 10 mm.  They seem to be pretty solidly shiny and black.  All three have spent most of the time since they were given to me close together, usually staying right next to each other, sometimes it has looked like they were grooming each other or something

Ants 2, 3 and 4
Ants 2, 3 and 4
Ants 2, 3 and 4

Hope that's enough to go on for one or both of these.  If not, let me know what additional information would be most useful and I  will try to add that.

Thanks!

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 1 2018 - 8:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
#1 Camponotus sp.
#2 Tetramorium immagrans
  • super_oil likes this

#3 Offline Dotdispenser - Posted July 2 2018 - 6:31 AM

Dotdispenser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMorristown, Tennessee
1) Appears to be Camponotus modoc.
2) Most definitely Tetramorium immigrans.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Nurturer of:

• 1 Camponotus castaneus

• 1 Camponotus subbarbatus

• 1 Formica incerta

• 1 Formica subsericea

• 1 Crematogaster cf. ashmeadi

• 1 Crematogaster missouriensis

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted July 2 2018 - 12:03 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I think the first queen might be C. novaeboracensis, I can barely make out the red bands across the top of her mesosoma. She also appears to have a mite on her right hind leg.

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 2 2018 - 3:21 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I think the first queen might be C. novaeboracensis, I can barely make out the red bands across the top of her mesosoma. She also appears to have a mite on her right hind leg.

Probably C. noveaboricensis then.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, July 2 2018 - 3:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users