• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Common names of ants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 3 2018 - 1:14 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
So, we all know how unreliable it is to use common names for IDs. I have a possible solution for this: to use the scientific names as reference. For example, Camponotus Ants are usually known as Carpenter ants. That being said, there are a ton of species of Camponotus. It would be possible to use scientific names as reference. For example,using this system, Camponotus americanus would be the American Carpenter ant. Formica aserva would be the slave-making field ant. Aphaenogaster tenneeseenis would be the Tennessee Spindle ant. Why do this? My idea was to more easily communicate with those unfamiliar with scientific names, so as to not have to spout latin, especially when taking to those who don't use these names.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 3 2018 - 4:10 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

If you can learn the dumbed down system of common names there is absolutely no reason a person can not learn the scientific name of an ant other than sheer laziness. No matter how you dress it up, the use of common names confuses things and muddies the water. It is barely one step up from from abbreviating Camponotus to Camponotus, etc.

Edited by gcsnelling, July 3 2018 - 7:20 AM.

• AntsAreUs, Martialis, Aaron567 and 2 others like this

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 3 2018 - 7:21 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Even more sad is the clowns over at Entsoc have an official listing of approved common names for insects. The list is called Common Names of Insects & Related Organisms and is published by the Entomological Society of America.

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 3 2018 - 7:24 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

So, we all know how unreliable it is to use common names for IDs. I have a possible solution for this: to use the scientific names as reference. For example, Camponotus Ants are usually known as Carpenter ants. That being said, there are a ton of species of Camponotus. It would be possible to use scientific names as reference. For example,using this system, Camponotus americanus would be the American Carpenter ant. Formica aserva would be the slave-making field ant. Aphaenogaster tenneeseenis would be the Tennessee Spindle ant. Why do this? My idea was to more easily communicate with those unfamiliar with scientific names, so as to not have to spout latin, especially when taking to those who don't use these names.

I've been seeing a lot of people, especially from the EU and AU call Camponotus sugar ants.  

#5 Offline Barristan - Posted July 3 2018 - 7:37 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

In German they are called "Rossameisen" "horse ants". Probably because they are so big.

I don't think it would work to orient common names on scientific names because all common names are based on what people see. Like crazy ants, they move like crazy. Or carpenter ants, because they build nests in wood. Myrmica is called "Gartenameise" in German "garden ant" because you often find them in gardens (ok not so uncommon for ants :) ). "Lasius" is called "Wegameise" in German "path ant" because you find them often find them on or near paths.

But I think it is important to also map common names to scientific names that's why you can search on antkeeping.info for both. If you type in "Fire ant" in the search field it will return Solenopsis invicta and Myrmica rubra. Unfortunately I only have very few common names added yet...

Edited by Barristan, July 3 2018 - 7:39 AM.

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted July 3 2018 - 8:31 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ants that are commonly called as "pavement ants":

- Lasius (Europe)

- Tetramorium (Europe, US)

- Iridomyrmex (Australia)

- Argentines (Southern Europe)

No idea what ants are called pavement ants in Africa (Cataglyphis?), Asia and South America.

So no, it doesn't work. Trivial names are relative.

Edited by Serafine, July 3 2018 - 8:32 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline Waganga - Posted July 3 2018 - 12:52 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Biggest thing I learned since getting into ant keeping:

Not all giant black ants are "carpenter ants," and also not all carpenter ants are big and black! 

Not all red ants are "fire ants." 

Not all little black ants are "sugar ants." (or even are black, for that matter)

Basically, I thought there were like. 4 kinds of ants in the world - Carpenter, fire, sugar, and leafcutter. Maybe 5, because I knew there was also "that kind that farms aphids that are obviously also exotic," which I learned are not actually exotic for my area! 

I appreciate that this forum enforces the use of scientific names, because it forces me to learn the difference between various genera and species. I don't think it's fair to refer to Entsoc as clowns for their preferred science communication tactics  :thinking: but I like the rigor of learning the scientific names.  :D

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 3 2018 - 4:26 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I can understand what all of you are saying. I just find it frustrating having to give a scientific name I know the other person won't remember as well as having to explain scientific names every time someone asks me "What bug is that?'
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#9 Offline OmniusClone - Posted July 4 2018 - 12:00 AM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

I can understand what all of you are saying. I just find it frustrating having to give a scientific name I know the other person won't remember as well as having to explain scientific names every time someone asks me "What bug is that?'

I can absolutely relate and sympathize. I don't think there are many people here who don't. Unfortunately, I think this might just be one of those things that goes along with engaging in any even slightly scientific pursuit. 

I wouldn't be able to tell you the number of times I've tried to explain something or other to a family member or close friend, just to get the glassy eyes and distant stare, closely followed by, "Oh yeah man, that's great." Swiftly on the heels of this comes the change of subject. 

The truth is, the people who care about this are (relatively) few and far between. It is, at the end of the day, a niche subject. Family, friends, and sometimes co-workers suffer us it because it visibly give us pleasure and purpose. In some cases you can make a convert, but that's rare in my experience. 

Short story:

When I was a teenager, I had the pleasure of meeting my grandmothers' cousins' husband (yes, you read correctly). He was elderly, wheelchair bound, and had retired from NASA some 20-30 odd years previous. While working there he had been a physicist studying the effects of ice and water in zero G environments. He had brought glass film prints with him, which he claimed were some of the fist microscopic images NASA had taken of ice and snowflakes created in space. He had spent years of his life learning, understanding, and advising other scientists and engineers about this, his particular area of expertise. Looking at those photos as a high school junior, they looked like snowflakes; they might as well have been close up photos of a sidewalk. I could have cared less, but I tried to make a show of interest, because even in his mid-eighties you could still see the childlike wonder that played on his face when he talked about his snowflakes. 

Now, I look back on that and take it as an example of how I should be when it comes to my passions. I am passionate about myrmecology, but that doesn't meant that others around me are, or that I should have to change the way I interact with others in order to make them passionate or aware. Nor does it mean that because of their inattention I should stop talking about it. They can make up their own minds, have their own interests. The people who care to listen, or at least care enough about me to listen, will. 

Anyway, I hope that wasn't misdirected. I'm certainly not trying to change the subject, stand on any soap boxes, or belittle your frustration. This is just my experience and point of view. Your mileage, as they say, may vary. 

Edited by OmniusClone, July 4 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#10 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 7 2018 - 6:46 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I think common names have their place.
When talking to people outside of a hobby it can help them picture what you are taking about.
Where a common name encompasses a group of species and/or genera it can be less cumbersome in casual conversation.
When first investigating a hobby. As stated it can help you find information if the common name can be used to find the species you are trying to find information on. For example, I knew the "jerky" ants were called "Strobe ants", I knew the big ants that jump on you when you disturb them were "Jumping Jacks" but I'd have no luck trying to find information on them if they were only ever referred to by their latin names, where would I start? I'm still only at the point where I recognise the names in print but haven't got the spelling down yet so without being on a pc where I can have two tabs open and copy and paste the latin into a post I'm still better off saying "Jumping Jack" or "Strobe" atm.
That said, part of studying horticulture was learning a certain amount of latin, once you recognise them you find that most species names are descriptive anyway so it's not as hard as it seems at first.
I think that if you're serious about ant keeping, fish keeping etc, or even gardening you should be aware of the common names even though at a certain level of discussion latin names should be used.
Knowing the latin but having no idea of what a layman might be calling "Green Tree Ants" would not make you a rounded "expert", you need to be aware of both I think.

(expert is not the right term I think but atm I'm drawing a blank on a substitute term)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users