• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Earthworms As Ant Food

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Yomegami - Posted July 6 2018 - 3:31 PM

Yomegami

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, Pennsylvania, US

I'm planning on using earthworms as part of my ants' diet. I know AntsCanada has advised against earthworms due to risk of pesticides, but I imagine that wouldn't be such a problem if I don't use wild-caught earthworms (or just make sure to use second+ generation earthworms when feeding ants). 

So I have some questions about earthworms as ant food:

• Are earthworms sold as live bait all right as ant food? Or do they carry the same risk of pesticides and whatnot as wild earthworms do? 
  • Is there a specific species of worm that works better than other species for ant food? Or will any species of worm do, provided they're cared for properly?
  • The main reasons I'm considering earthworms are ease of cultivation, multi-purpose (they can be used as ant food and fish bait), and admittedly because I've noticed wild ants seem to like them. Are there any other reasons to raise (or not raise) earthworms as ant food?

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 6 2018 - 3:39 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Well, the main issue with earthworms IMObare the slime. I feel like most large colonies should accept Slightly dry ones. Did I mention the smell of rotting earthworms as well? Terrible.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 6 2018 - 7:34 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I see ants here dragging around dried up worms on the road after rainfall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users