• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ant care sheet needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline will.ryder - Posted June 27 2018 - 10:45 AM

will.ryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello i just started a new colony of Odontomachus brunneus and I came here right away for a ant care sheet but there where none on this ant :facepalm: . So my question is can anyone please put one together for me and give me the link or something thanks  :)

PS: sorry if i put his in the wrong forum I wasn't sure what to put this under being I couldn't find anyone else asking the same.

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 27 2018 - 10:52 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

i don't think anyone can really just whip up a care sheet. usually the people that do it are people who have taken the time to study their respective ants and are able to observe their particular behaviors. Not to mention that Odontomachus are already a hard species for people to even get past the founding stages so it is unfortunately very unlikely that some one here will have a detailed care sheet available for the forum, but my fingers are crossed for you. i would say just try to mimic the area that you found her to the best of your abilities. 

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 27 2018 - 3:29 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow Odontomachus brunneus beautiful species  (y) I love trap jaws. Never did have a chance to keep them though due to them not being native to my area. I do not have much information except I have heard they do like termites and the queens are semi-claustral but these videos may help.  . Also semi-claustral queens usually need a foraging area. I would put her in a simple test tube setup, cover it in tin foil so it is nice and dark, and set it in an out world (this video may explain it more ). In the out world you would put maybe small crickets and as I said earlier termites. They usually prefer live food, so I wouldn't pre kill the small feeder insects. I honestly don't know much about what they prefer for a sugar source, but I'd try the two simplest ones first (honey, cotton dipped in sugar water). Anyways I wish you the best ;) , and I would like you very much to do a journal on these girls since this forum has kind of a grey area in the "trap jaw department".

• FeedTheAnts and BobJ like this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users