• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wyoming ant ID 6/26/18

Best Answer Batspiderfish , June 26 2018 - 4:51 PM

Myrmica sp.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 26 2018 - 3:41 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Laramie, Wyoming
2. Date of collection: 6/25/18
3. Habitat of collection: Pebble and dirt mixture next to a fishing pond
4. Length (from head to gaster): workers are 5mm and the queens are around 5mm or 6mm, they were hiding and had their bodies contorted so not super exact
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: queen one has an all red body and a lighter red gaster, queen two has a red body with a blackish gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: they are a polygonous colony so both queens are raising the colony
7. Distinguishing behavior: non noticed so far other than one always tearing at the cotton to escape
8. Nest description: pebbly dirt mixture and also shallow nest, maybe one CM below the surface if that

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A

WIN 20180626 17 23 31 Pro
Album: Ant ID 6/25/18
6 images
0 comments

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 26 2018 - 4:51 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Myrmica sp.

• LC3, Enderz and VoidElecent like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 26 2018 - 5:41 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Oh nice didn't think i would have myrmica in my area. Any info i can give to try and give exact species?

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 26 2018 - 5:57 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Myrmica are notoriously difficult to identify without microscopic examination of dead specimens by an expert.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#5 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 26 2018 - 5:59 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Myrmica are notoriously difficult to identify without microscopic examination of dead specimens by an expert.

darn oh well thanks man atleast i know the species

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#6 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 27 2018 - 10:40 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

so been doing some research on what it could be exactly and i think i have narrowed it down to M. Monticola as the description of what they nest in sounds like the environment i was able to find them in. Although they have not been observed to be polygynous so from what i read i could also have a parasitic queen? Very complex species for sure

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 27 2018 - 11:33 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Definitely add the cf. in there! (e.g. Myrmica cf. monticola)

----

#8 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 27 2018 - 1:25 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Definitely add the cf. in there! (e.g. Myrmica cf. monticola)

will definitely add that when i start doing the journal for this colony.  Myrmica cf. monticola Thanks again Batspiderfish

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile