• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Skocko76's Messor wasmanni journal

journal messor capitatus

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:22 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It used to be if I made really high pitched noises near my Nylanderia's formicarium, they would go insane.

• skocko76 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline skocko76 - Posted December 3 2020 - 2:00 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

It used to be if I made really high pitched noises near my Nylanderia's formicarium, they would go insane.

Ha! Interesting! High pitched, like imitating a mouse squeak? 

#23 Offline skocko76 - Posted December 3 2020 - 2:08 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I give my Messors very little protein... The reason boils down to me being able to catch only so many flies, and I have other colonies to feed, that cannot get protein from seed.

So this colony is almost exclusively grown on seed alone.

However, each time I do give them a fly or some source of insect protein, I find a couple of dead minors in the morning. Coincidence? Maybe, but usually they don't die at all, just the morning after protein feed. Granted, I do not freeze/boil the wildly caught insects, mostly due to convenience/not having to put up with my wife. Plus, I have never been burned by mites yet.

Other colonies do not seem to mind the freshly killed insects, and certainly do not die off after.

Not sure what to do with them in the future...

#24 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 3 2020 - 6:43 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I was giving my Pogonomyrmex water in their water tower and it made a bubbling noise and they freaked out.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 3 2020 - 2:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Ha! Interesting! High pitched, like imitating a mouse squeak? 

Like an ongoing mouse squeak, yes.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#26 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 3 2020 - 2:17 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

My Prenos freak when my birds shriek lol

My YouTube channel :)

#27 Offline TechAnt - Posted December 3 2020 - 4:24 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Eh, my Honeypots get scared for their lives when I clap.

Then again, they freak out at nearly everything..

Also lets stop hijacking Skocko's journal, as we are getting off-topic, this does sound like a good thread idea though!

Edited by TechAnt, December 3 2020 - 4:25 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#28 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 5 2021 - 3:11 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Don't forget, Messors like sweets too :)

IMG 20210305 111456

Mine have fed on seed porridge for too long - it's time for a desert! :D

• ANTdrew likes this

#29 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 24 2021 - 9:08 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The galleries are pretty visible in this sandwich. A pity ants tend to hang at the bottom. Next time I should get a deeper (higher?) sandwich for the substrate.

The ants are a couple hundred now and the production of brood has begun. They are pretty active and forage all the time.

IMG 20210324 172940

• ANTdrew likes this

#30 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted March 24 2021 - 9:26 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

The galleries are pretty visible in this sandwich. A pity ants tend to hang at the bottom. Next time I should get a deeper (higher?) sandwich for the substrate.

The ants are a couple hundred now and the production of brood has begun. They are pretty active and forage all the time.

nice colony, I think you are pretty set for a giant colony, but I highly recommend chia seeds if you want, they have tons of protein and are great for my Pogonomyrmex, but make sure they don't have pesticides.

• skocko76 likes this

#31 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 24 2021 - 9:50 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

nice colony, I think you are pretty set for a giant colony, but I highly recommend chia seeds if you want, they have tons of protein and are great for my Pogonomyrmex, but make sure they don't have pesticides.

Thanks for the recommendation. Actually, I have given them chia before and they have it in their granary at the moment. I never observed them throw out chia chaff though. I use "bio" chia, but you never know with pesticides... 

#32 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted March 24 2021 - 9:56 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Thanks for the recommendation. Actually, I have given them chia before and they have it in their granary at the moment. I never observed them throw out chia chaff though. I use "bio" chia, but you never know with pesticides... 

oh nice! yeah honestly me neither but for me chia seeds are the only ones my Pogonomyrmex store.

#33 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted March 24 2021 - 9:58 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

what seeds do you feed?

#34 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 24 2021 - 10:50 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

what seeds do you feed?

They are most receptive of grass seed...not sure which, I got a bag from anthouse.es , also they happily take the usual Messor mix, which I believe to be canary feed without hemp.

They like watermelon seed, fresh, cut in half. They are absolutely bonkers about dandelion seed - I pick it myself - not the easiest chore, so not sure if I'd recommend.

I pick dandelion "blow spheres" in urban meadow patches where there are no insecticides and no weed killers (dandelion being weed itself). Then I separate the fluffy umbrellas from the seed. It takes ages to get a spoon full of seed. It's a lot of work.

I have given them the seed whole, but they make a mess of the nest with all the fluffy umbrellas.
I have given them chia, but haven't observed them eating them. I also gave them flax and pepper seed, which they collected, but also cannot say if they got eaten.

#35 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 22 2021 - 1:14 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The colony is having a major baby boom. Hundreds of larvae, many already in pupa stage. I expect them to reach 500 in a couple of weeks.

They are getting a bit too big for the setup and I will probably start to look for someone with better conditions to adopt them.

It's funny how photos always look more "sparse" than seeing the outworld live - teeming with workers.

This particular species, local and dominant around Split, Croatia, is quite mysterious... First identified as M. capitatus for their super-major workers, later challenged by French colleagues as large  M. bouvieri, and German as full black M. wasmanni....

After a few years, the colony is producing some workers with reddish thorax, so M. wasmanni seems to be the most accurate.

I read a paper that M. wasmanni and M. minor create fertile hybrids, so that may be the case here too.

IMG 20210622 105455
IMG 20210622 105729

Edited by skocko76, June 22 2021 - 1:15 AM.

• ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2021 - 2:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ah, man. I wish you could keep your bigger colonies.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#37 Offline skocko76 - Posted July 30 2021 - 4:58 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I changed the species of this journal to M. wasmanni. It was only after 3 years or so that they started producing workers with lighter (brown-red) thorax.

A local ant-keeper adopted my big colony.

The formicarium now belongs to a new colony, numbering 30-40 workers.

It looks soo vacant now :D

IMG 20210729 102656

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, messor, capitatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users