• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with Aphaenogaster Sp.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 9 2016 - 6:59 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Hi guys. Would like to know if anyone else has any experience with this species? I've done lots and lots of research, and found all the journals I could. Nothing is very descriptive for this species, and it seems like it’s not commonly kept.

So far I’ve witnessed them actively killing bugs and carrying them to the brood. They’ve also drank liquids from a piece of watermelon, and immediately responded to bee pollen.

I read that this species is an important seed spreader in woods and forests. They hoard seeds and some end up growing? What I’m taking from this is that they hoard them for consumption. If this is so, what seeds should I offer? I read in another thread to offer grass seed, not sure which species it was though.

Also, with my 100% bee pollen. Has anyone else tried this? My ants love it, but it spreads out like mix the moment it hits water I.E. the moment the ant sets it down in the nest. In one ants tube, it started growing mold a couple days after and I really don’t want this to happen again. So, I was thinking a way to stop this from happening is to add water myself, and add the gooey substance to a dish in the outworld rather then serving it as dried chunks.

Lastly, what other characteristics does this species have that I should know. Assuming that they’re under bark, and not in the log, they like high humidity and warmth. So I’ll be putting a heating pad under the nests.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 9 2016 - 8:05 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've kept forest Aphaenogaster for a brief while, and they're fairly straightforwards to care for. They loved fruit flies, but were hit or miss with mealworm carcasses. I never gave my Aphaenogaster seeds, but I imagine they would appreciate something tiny. You could also try giving them small pieces of bread, as myrmicines sometimes seem to fancy. Honey water was their carbohydrate source, but any clean, liquid sugar will do (pollen is a protein source, just in case anybody didn't know.) I didn't keep them heated, but they still grew steadily.

• Loops117 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 9 2016 - 8:27 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I've kept forest Aphaenogaster for a brief while, and they're fairly straightforwards to care for. They loved fruit flies, but were hit or miss with mealworm carcasses. I never gave my Aphaenogaster seeds, but I imagine they would appreciate something tiny. You could also try giving them small pieces of bread, as myrmicines sometimes seem to fancy. Honey water was their carbohydrate source, but any clean, liquid sugar will do (pollen is a protein source, just in case anybody didn't know.) I didn't keep them heated, but they still grew steadily.

Thank you. I'm gonna still try to supply them various seeds. Was even thinking of a wild bird seed mix to see what they take. It's good to know you were having success though. The lack of journals had me thinking these guys are hard to keep.

#4 Offline spytim - Posted June 25 2016 - 5:19 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
I believe they consume the outer part of seeds but leave the actual seed unharmed and then discard them. My largest colony is my Apheanogaster Rudis, they love all kinds of bugs and are more aggressive for food then my invicta! Also they love straight honey and humming bird nectar. Yes they prefer moist nests however mine never seem to have minded temperature.
So far my favorite to keep!

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 25 2016 - 5:52 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I'd have to say they are pretty aggressive. I'm gonna toss a mulberry in their outworld today and see how they react. They're little monsters when it comes to taking down bugs aswell.

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 25 2016 - 9:11 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

My Pogonomyrmex colony loves niger seeds. I would recommend trying out as many seeds as you can. I gave my Pogonomyrmex's a bunch of different seeds and they didn't really take to any but for some reason they loved the niger seeds.

Edited by Mdrogun, June 25 2016 - 9:14 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 27 2016 - 7:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I'll have to give them a try. Gonna put a small container of mixed seed in the outworld and see what they take.

#8 Offline LIFEsize - Posted June 26 2018 - 7:44 PM

LIFEsize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

I'll have to give them a try. Gonna put a small container of mixed seed in the outworld and see what they take.

I was wondering if you had any luck with your aphaenogaster colony. I recently got my own and was curious if they are fun to keep because at this point I’m trying to pick between crematogaster ceraci, aphaenogaster fulva and possibly camponotus ligniperdus. They’re all in my possession and I only keep 1 colony at a time otherwise my fiancée will freakout lol. If you can fill me in on your experience with aphaenogaster good or bad I would like to hear about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users