• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Stopped Laying Eggs After 10 Workers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jaw - Posted September 15 2018 - 1:57 PM

Jaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I live in Wisconsin and caught 3 Queens that I believe to be Lasius Neoniger back in July.  All had their first nanitics eclose around August 8th, and they ended up with about 10 workers each.  I fed them some cricket and honey just inside their test tubes, which they readily accepted, and later placed each tube in a small bin.  For a while, I placed little sleds of food into the mouths of their test tubes, and while they ate that, I didn't want to continue the practice, as I was concerned that lifting the tube would be stressful for them.  Since then, I have been placing a variety of foods, such as crickets, peanut butter, eggs, and honey into the small outworld for them to eat.  Though I have not seen any exploring their outworld, occasionally a piece of cricket will have been dragged back into one of the tubes.  

At various intervals, I have checked the tubes (which are covered with paper normally) to see how they were doing and found no eggs in development in any of the three tubes.  I cannot say whether the first 10 workers were all their nanitics or not, but they all appeared within a week of each other for each colony, and after the workers appeared I have not seen any other eggs.  

Is is cause for concern that it has been over a month since their first workers and the queens are not laying eggs?  Is there something that I should be doing differently to provide them what they need to continue growing as a colony?

If there is any information that would be helpful to provide, let me know, and I can gladly assist.

#2 Offline CoolColJ - Posted September 15 2018 - 2:45 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Might be due to winter pause, if it's getting cold

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#3 Offline Jaw - Posted September 15 2018 - 5:29 PM

Jaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

We haven't adjusted our thermostat down, unless there are other indicators that might trigger that.  Would that mean they won't lay again until after I put them through hibernation?  Would using a heating cable get them to start laying again for a few months?

Edited by Jaw, September 15 2018 - 5:31 PM.

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted September 15 2018 - 6:13 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I'm not sure about species in the US, but here in Australia, some species do keep laying if you have a heat cable, but others have a body clock and won't lay no matter what, during winter.
And most tend to eat their brood to reduce burden on the colony

Edited by CoolColJ, September 15 2018 - 6:14 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#5 Offline MaxGen - Posted September 17 2018 - 6:25 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

Not really important, but July seems kind of early for neonieger, could they perhaps be americanus/alienus?

Who's to say what factors determine when a colony starts slowing down in preparation for diapause?  Could be less daylight hours coming in through the windows, or perhap an internal biological clock?  I wouldn't try to subvert the colonies natural tendency to slow down at this time of year.  Accommodate their need and let them get ready for the winter.  

#6 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted September 17 2018 - 9:52 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I think a lot of people are noticing their colonies are becoming more inactive. In your case, it's harder to discern whether they are actually entering hibernation because they don't have any brood, but if the queen is no longer laying any eggs, it probably means that they have discontinued brood production until hibernation ends anyways. Right now, they might be at the point where they just get make sure the workers fill up on enough food to last throughout their diapause period later on.

#7 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 17 2018 - 11:33 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It is probably their body clock. My Carpenter Ants stopped laying beginning about a month ago, despite the fact that they were still being kept at the same temperature and had not yet been cooled. You probably shouldn't put them in hibernation yet. But ya, I wouldn't be concerned if the queens don't lay anymore eggs from now till hibernation.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, September 17 2018 - 11:35 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#8 Offline Jaw - Posted September 19 2018 - 7:42 PM

Jaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the insight, everyone.  I'll just let them relax and hang out until it is hibernation time.  I'm relieved to hear that I wasn't doing anything wrong, and am looking forward to some rest-fueled growth come springtime! 

#9 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted September 25 2018 - 10:37 PM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
I have noticed this with my Formica subserica colony. Last year and this year both, it seems no matter what, she has a set amount she will lay and after that, no more. She hasn't laid anything for over a month now and they are still going strong. It worried me last year but now it's happened again, I do believe it's normal for this particular species. My Formica pallidefulva on the other hand seem to keep laying. Weird lol
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users