• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Plastic mesh vs metal mesh

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline smares - Posted June 18 2018 - 10:50 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

Has anyone used plastic mesh to ventilate there ant nests? I have made a few nests using mesh that came with cut flowers and so far the queens have not been able to damage it (they have been trying). We will see if the workers have better luck. I was wondering if anyone has tried mosquito netting or anything of the sort?  I know metal mesh is pretty standard.

#2 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 18 2018 - 12:07 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

living in the mosquito capital of the world i might be able to give a small word of caution. Not all "screen" or "mosquito mesh" is equal. I have witnessed small black "sugar ants" going rite threw some of the larger screens that we have down here that where designed to keep mosquito's out. My advice would be to know your species, and how large (or small) there first workers get, and get a mesh that will keep them in.

As far as metal vs plastic, i would think plastic would be better. it won't rust. but i myself use some fabric designed for bug nets for my projects (such as covering the holes in the lid of my outworlds)

Edited by Shifty189, June 19 2018 - 10:32 AM.

• smares likes this

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted June 18 2018 - 12:11 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

The queens are busy doing other things. The stress test begins when you have have several hundert workers, after that point they will start trying to break out and this will only increase with colony size. I think most ants will be able to chew through plastic mesh. Some ant species with large Major-workers were even able to chew through mess made out of stainless steel after some time (Messor barbarus for example)

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 18 2018 - 2:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The queens are busy doing other things. The stress test begins when you have have several hundert workers, after that point they will start trying to break out and this will only increase with colony size. I think most ants will be able to chew through plastic mesh. Some ant species with large Major-workers were even able to chew through mess made out of stainless steel after some time (Messor barbarus for example)

I have used polypropylene (PP) mesh for years, with no issue.  The primary advantage for me is that I can cut it with a laser cutting machine, and it won't rust.

Ants can only chew something they can grab with their mandibles.  A fine enough mesh is impossible for the ants to chew, so long as there is no tear or other surface for the ants to grab and begin chewing and tearing away with their mandibles.

• akaant and AntsBC like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 18 2018 - 2:41 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
The fine mesh on my acrylic founding nest, to the naked eye it looks like grey "cloth" but at macro view it looks like this.
These Melophorus are fairly small ants

Edited by CoolColJ, June 18 2018 - 2:42 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users