• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Species colony growth rates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dreamer - Posted June 12 2018 - 1:18 AM

Dreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Ever wondered how fast a colony you are thinking of getting will grow?

As a new ant keeper I've really struggled to find this information and some estimates and comparisons between species would have been really helpful. I'd like to collect the experiences of others to make a species list of approximate colony growth rates by year.

Please post your experiences with species or ones that you know and I'll collate them into a big list. Please try to use this format:

Species Founding size 1 year 2 years 3 years 4 years etc.

Colony growth rates by species

Species Founding 1 year 2 years 3 years 4 years 5 years
Camponotus Barbaricus 1 queen 50-200 1000-2000 5000-7000 10,000+
Lasuis Niger 1 queen 50-200 500-1000 2000-3000 5000-7000 10,000+

Edited by Dreamer, June 12 2018 - 10:43 AM.

• Barristan, FeedTheAnts, BobJ and 2 others like this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 12 2018 - 8:18 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

What if you were to say have different colonies of the same species with different number of queens. Or will this be all with 1 queen as a constant?

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 12 2018 - 9:06 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

My Lasius colony, at  two years, reached 2000

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Dreamer - Posted June 12 2018 - 10:07 AM

Dreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

What if you were to say have different colonies of the same species with different number of queens. Or will this be all with 1 queen as a constant?

Fair point, I'll have to do 1 queen as a constant :)

#5 Offline Dreamer - Posted June 12 2018 - 10:11 AM

Dreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

My Lasius colony, at  two years, reached 2000

I've just based that on my first year and other journals I've read and I guess it will depend on temperatures, but I've updated it. What age do you think the average colony would reach maturity/max size? 4 years? Or should I add that Niger can make it up to 10,000 which you see on care sheets, but I think that might only be in the wild as I've not read an account of anyone with such a large captive colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users