• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nuptial flight in New York

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Volant - Posted May 14 2017 - 2:30 PM

Volant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNY

Hello,

I'm new to ant keeping and looking for my first queen. Today morning there was a rainstorm. After it ended I started looking around for some queens. I couldn't find any. Are there any nuptial flights during the month of May in Southern New York.If there are, Are there any tips to capture/find queens?

Thanks

"Oportet nos cognoscere ex nostrorum VI-tripodes amicis."

Founding:

Tetramorium cf. caespitum (x1)

Lasius cf. Neoniger (x1)

Colony:

Tetramorium cf. caespitum (x1)

Solenopsis molesta (x3)

Aphaenogaster cf. picea (x1)

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 14 2017 - 2:56 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Camponotus will be flying very soon. If temps get into the upper 70s/80s this week, look in the late afternoon/early evening for them.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#3 Offline Winston - Posted May 14 2017 - 6:45 PM

Winston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, United States

According to some other people, and myself it seems at least in Northern New Jersey, there was a mass amount of Camponotus Pennsylvanicus nuptial flights, I'm assuming environmental queue's clicked. Look out for camponotus queens. An unorthodox method to catching queens, that has been working successfully for me is lifting up loose bark on fallen trees, or digging around a couple cm's deep into rotted logs, I have found 4 queens in their founding stages, it is usually fairly easy to capture the queen if she has her eggs already as she will be sitting around passively, the tricky part is getting the eggs/brood safely into the container/test tube setup, or if she has her first set of workers. But this has worked fairly well for me so wanted to suggest it. Good Luck.

#4 Offline disasterants - Posted May 15 2018 - 9:27 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

Hello,

I'm new to ant keeping and looking for my first queen. Today morning there was a rainstorm. After it ended I started looking around for some queens. I couldn't find any. Are there any nuptial flights during the month of May in Southern New York.If there are, Are there any tips to capture/find queens?

Thanks

I saw a male camponotus yesterday; they're officially flying.

#5 Offline Reevak - Posted May 15 2018 - 10:13 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I've seen Camponotus flights within the past week. Western New York

#6 Offline Major - Posted June 11 2018 - 9:25 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
I've seen some Camponotus and myrmica. (I suspect the myrmica was from last year)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users