• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rattus' Liquid food solutions

liquid ant food

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Rattus - Posted June 1 2018 - 11:33 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

Hello everyone!

In this topic I will post my thoughts on various liquid food solutions I plan to create/make and so on. It will function mostly as a journal (more details will be added as time goes by) and a photo thread dedicated to "Liquid food" as the title indicates, so stay tuned, if still interested. (y)

Brew #1 (01.06.18):

This one is based on snails and 3 types of dry insects.

Pictures and more details coming soon.

Edited by Rattus, June 8 2018 - 3:21 PM.

• akaant and skocko76 like this

#2 Offline Rattus - Posted June 8 2018 - 3:49 PM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

Brew #1 which is based on 2 types of fairly common small snails turned out to be a concentrate with a foul smell :D.

I store it in the fridge, 3C (~38F)

1.1. An ant showed some interest, but after trying it, "a reactive shot back" was observed (ant retreated backwards in a straight line).

1.2. Decided to mix newly created solution with beet sugar and water, 1 Brew to 3 Water.

- This time ants liked it. Observed 3-4 visits a day from a Myrmica sp. colony, with 3 workers, full gasters each time.

- Still not spoiled after 3 days in 26C (~79F) and higher.

- It should spoil any time soon as the first test solution lasted about the same time, not measured though, but when it spoiled(EDIT : was not spoiled, lasted until most of the water gone), solution turned to a mite (white mites that eat decaying organic material) attractor, got rid of a bunch :victory:.

antms00x.png

1510055-1.jpg

1510057-2.jpg

1510064-3.jpgantms00x1.png

Edited by Rattus, June 24 2018 - 8:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users