• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kill it with fire??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 5 2018 - 10:46 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Wasp? Hornet? Yellow Jacket? It ended up in my W.H.Y. trap.. that I put it right over where a nest has been in the past. (Electrical green box in the center of the yard. Previous journal entries have shown the location).

Watering plants yesterday. Hot as hell in Colorado. The L. Flavus have moved into the Lavender bush which has got 6 bees on it at anytime. Also noticing some sweat bees. Insects. Anyways..

Noticed this giant beaster in one of the two traps. Normally I wouldn't think much about it but it was the biggest one I've seen in awhile. And I thought of TC and how he'd be able to tell me what it was... so I took a picture. Didn't measure length. Fairly certain it'll be dead today after baking in 95 degrees all day. 

So while I don't know if its actually a queen or not ... Is someone able to educate me on what this is and ways I can know in the future? 

-

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#2 Offline Salmon - Posted June 5 2018 - 11:17 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Probably a Vespula queen.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted June 5 2018 - 11:44 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Probably a Vespula queen.

I'd agree.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 5 2018 - 11:47 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Is that the most common wasp? There is always a nest in this spot so I tried to get it early. 

If I lived out in the country and could dedicate an area to leave them be, it would be one thing.

Sorry Vespula, Zagara, the Brood Mother has spoken!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 24 2019 - 9:57 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

these actually make good captives I've seen people rear these in the past and do quite well- they are alot more patient and orderly in captivity than you'd think

#6 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 24 2019 - 10:00 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I have a love hate relationship with wasps. I hate them, they're so aggressive sometimes and their sting HURTS. But I also find them so beautiful and fascinating. 

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 24 2019 - 12:16 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Fire would be too lenient.

• Nare likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline dermy - Posted July 24 2019 - 12:49 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

these actually make good captives I've seen people rear these in the past and do quite well- they are alot more patient and orderly in captivity than you'd think

It is very hard to get them to start out, but yes wasps aren't as crazy in captivity as you'd think. I really like them for Free-Ranging though since colonies start to eat a lot once you get around 20 workers and 2 combs of brood going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users