• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Probably] Queen ID, Northern Serbia, 6th of June

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 4 2018 - 10:38 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Northern Serbia
2. Date of collection: 6th of June
3. Habitat of collection: Earth, below clay tile
4. Length (from head to gaster): 8mm (plus minus 1mm)
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black with white/silver hue
6. Distinguishing characteristics: /
7. Distinguishing behavior: Pulling quite a lot the cotton on test tube
8. Nest description: /

9. Nuptial flight time and date: /

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sorry for somewhat bad quality of photos. I'm not sure she is a queen, but it seems like she has wing scars, so I'm kinda keeping my hopes up. Even species ID would be useful as i would know what i have in my yard. Thanks in advance!

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 4 2018 - 11:17 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

She is a queen. Looks like a Lasius parasite of some sort.

• GeorgeK and rbarreto like this

#3 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 4 2018 - 11:31 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

She is a queen. Looks like a Lasius parasite of some sort.

So i just checked, only parasite i know would be L. Umbratus, and it seems it checks out :) Thanks for the help man :)

#4 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 4 2018 - 11:41 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Doesn't really look like L. umbratus to me. maybe L. fuliginosus?

It doesn't seem that the eastern European Parasitic Lasius species are very well documented.

Edited by rbarreto, June 4 2018 - 11:42 AM.

• GeorgeK likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 4 2018 - 11:50 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There are lots of other Lasius parasites in that region as well -- seemingly all of the Eurasian Chthonolasius except L. sabularum. Definitely from the umbratus group.

• GeorgeK likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 4 2018 - 12:14 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Doesn't really look like L. umbratus to me. maybe L. fuliginosus?

It doesn't seem that the eastern European Parasitic Lasius species are very well documented.

Sadly only things that are well documented here are wars... Anyways, thanks for the help everyone. Maybe if i succeed in rearing her ( i got few "spare" lasius niger colonies ) and she has workers, maybe it will be easier to ID the species.

Also, while photos are bad, she isn't as dark as l. fuliginosus. As far as i can tell, she looks like umbratus to me.

Edited by GeorgeK, June 4 2018 - 12:16 PM.

#7 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 4 2018 - 2:59 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Unless European L. umbratus are different then the ones here in Canada then I don't think that's what you have, I have never seen one with a whitish/silver hue. They are normally dark brown with reddish hues. Also the legs are really long and skinny which is why I guessed L. fuliginosus.

However I would 100% take Batspiderfish's advice over mine and say they are probably in the Chthonolasius group.

Edited by rbarreto, June 4 2018 - 3:01 PM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 4 2018 - 3:41 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Unless European L. umbratus are different then the ones here in Canada then I don't think that's what you have, I have never seen one with a whitish/silver hue. They are normally dark brown with reddish hues. Also the legs are really long and skinny which is why I guessed L. fuliginosus.

However I would 100% take Batspiderfish's advice over mine and say they are probably in the Chthonolasius group.

The sheen is the reflection off fine, appressed hairs. Lasius means "wooly", and most (not all) species from this genus have that somewhat fuzzy appearance.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 5 2018 - 1:24 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

After a bit more of searching, i found very good picture of it on someones flickdriver. He also comments that he is unsure if its l. umbratus or l. fuliginosus.

Heres the picture that very clearly matches this queen i got, sadly i couldn't link it here so you will have to open link https://www.flickr.c...tua/3786194542/

#10 Offline Barristan - Posted June 5 2018 - 1:43 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Hmm I am also not sure what it is. Lasius neglectus would also be an option. This invasive species is spreading in Europe.

Edited by Barristan, June 5 2018 - 1:43 AM.

#11 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 5 2018 - 2:38 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

So i prepared to introduce her to workers today, but sadly she is dead...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users