• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

San Joaquin Valley ID Request

componotus sp?

Best Answer Batspiderfish , May 31 2018 - 3:43 PM

Out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that? From what I could find about Componotus and Liometopum, and not to dispute at all, but the two tend to be difficult to distinguish from one another. Is there something specific that stands out to you?

I'd say the most prominent difference is in the shape of the gaster. Camponotus, which belongs to Formicinae, has a gaster that ends in some kind of point, tipped with a cone of hairs called an acidopore. Liometopum, from Dolichoderinae, has no such structure, and for the most part its gaster is rounded at the end.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OmniusClone - Posted May 30 2018 - 4:13 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I logged on, but I had this little beauty fall into my lap! Well, crawl around my kitchen ceiling, at least. Anyway, on to the important stuff. 

Found just outside Lindsay, CA, 5/29/18. 

It was indeed, in my kitchen, but the San Joaquin Valley is quite rural and agrarian, with the majority of the farmland around me being devoted to orange groves. 

I'm unsure of the length, but I can tell you that she's almost 3/4 of and inch, as that's the diameter of the test tubes I use. So, between 15-18 mm, ballpark. 

Colour appears to be a uniform black, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if it's gloss or matte, but I'm erring on the side of gloss. 

As for characteristics and behavior, I was unprepared and fairly quick to get her in a drawer, so I didn't notice much. However, she was pretty quick to calm down once I got her in the test tube. 

20180531 124609
Album: Liometopum occidentale
18 images
1 comments

Sorry for the image quality, I'll try to take some more when I can. Hopefully this'll be enough to help. I'm fairly certain that it's Componotus, I just don't know which specifically. Honestly, I'm not even sure if she's mated, but I'll hold out some hope for a little while. 

Anyway, thanks for all the help in advance! If there was anything here that was unclear, or if I can provide any additional information, please just let me know.

Cheers!

#2 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted May 30 2018 - 6:22 PM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA

Appears to be Liometopum occidentale to me. Need better pictures from different angles with lighting. 

FYI, It is very common for Liometopum queens to keep their wings after mating.

Edited by Irishmate03112002, May 31 2018 - 12:37 AM.

#3 Offline OmniusClone - Posted May 31 2018 - 12:08 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

Okay, had a chance to take some better photos. Looks like she's not as long as I originally estimated. 

20180531 124712
20180531 124657
20180531 124632
20180531 124718
20180531 124545
20180531 124659
20180531 124609
20180531 124611

These are much clearer. As a bonus, it looks like she's already laid an egg! 

#4 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted May 31 2018 - 1:33 PM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA
Yes, she is Liometopum occidentale.

#5 Offline OmniusClone - Posted May 31 2018 - 2:44 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

Out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that? From what I could find about Componotus and Liometopum, and not to dispute at all, but the two tend to be difficult to distinguish from one another. Is there something specific that stands out to you?

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 31 2018 - 3:43 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'd say the most prominent difference is in the shape of the gaster. Camponotus, which belongs to Formicinae, has a gaster that ends in some kind of point, tipped with a cone of hairs called an acidopore. Liometopum, from Dolichoderinae, has no such structure, and for the most part its gaster is rounded at the end.

• OmniusClone likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted May 31 2018 - 3:51 PM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA
To me they look very different. Maybe because I keep both. Just google images for both and put them side by side.

#8 Offline OmniusClone - Posted May 31 2018 - 4:49 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
Alright, looks like I'll have to change the title on that album.

I looked for a care guide, but it doesn't seem to exist. Is there anything I should be aware of that's outside the norm with this species? I understand they have prodigious populations.

#9 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted June 2 2018 - 12:35 AM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA
They are easy. Queen will lay approx 40 eggs. Put her away somewhere dark and leave her be. Once she gets workers around 6-8 weeks, just feed them a drop of sugar and a little protein every couple of days. Hummingbird nector, sugar water, sunburst, flies, mealworms, etc...They will grow rapidly and explode if fed well.

#10 Offline OmniusClone - Posted June 2 2018 - 12:06 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

Well thanks for all the help Irishmate and Batspiderfish. We'll have to see if anything comes from this one. Cross your fingers, cause she's the only one I've got.  :blink:

If things go well, I'll start a journal and see how far things can go.  

Cheers!

#11 Offline OmniusClone - Posted June 4 2018 - 2:18 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA

just an update if anyone is still reading. She's laid a big clutch of eggs, and is mothering them well! Looks like I'll have to start planning for an outworld and formicarium. 

20180604 010413
20180604 010417

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users