• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

nepenthes F. pallidefulva colony at OSU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline nepenthes - Posted September 22 2013 - 9:03 AM

nepenthes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

This is for updates on this Formica pallidefulva queen that I took to OSU.

3db6d51ebe12f108cfd5d7dcd2d5d78a.png

I caught her in early July along with another couple Formica queens. I really don't have much to update on other than she's got a TON of callows, I only held on to her for about a month before I took her to OSU. 

ea1b244682f29b768f4fae321e2612be.png

they are currently in a small "basin",  and have regular access to bhaktar, roaches 3x a week, and a cube of sugar.
nepenthes

• napaeozapus likes this

#2 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted September 23 2013 - 8:34 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Very nice! These ants remind me of my Formica pallidefulva (which I no longer have). There was around 10 - 15 workers, all of which were repletes except one. This one (exactly like the one all the way on the left in your second picture) would be the main forager. They are very skiddish ants, but will gladly explore a foraging area in my experience.

#3 Offline nepenthes - Posted September 25 2013 - 9:50 PM

nepenthes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Thanks, I can't wait to get them in a proper formicarium if I can work out a design that would be functional at the insectary, not allot of room. lol. Well they have got to be doing some kind of foraging, they have fat gasters. I think they really like the agar food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users