• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two queen ID's - Ft Worth, Tx 5/23/18

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted May 28 2018 - 4:16 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Both queens caught approximately 10am in Fort Worth, in the city, however in a small (1 acre maybe) grassland park...  they are both approximately 5mm in length, and I suspect they are the same species, however I cannot get a good enough alternate angle on either one to compare top to top or side to side...

I did not witness nuptial flights, but this was a day after thunder and there were tons of queens in the area...  captured and/or witnessed this particular morning were hundreds of Invicta, 3 Forelius mccooki (what I believe they are anyway), the 2 posted here and 4 more that have not yet shed their wings and are difficult to photograph in the position they are currently in...

Queen 1

uAFkGjx.jpg

9NFzKpd.jpg

Queen 2

JupNLxA.jpg

Edited by NanceUSMC, May 28 2018 - 4:17 PM.

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted May 28 2018 - 5:03 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I'm going to say Brachymyrmex patagonicus. They could both be that, because there are color varients of them. 

Edited by Ants_Texas, May 28 2018 - 5:06 PM.

• Spamdy likes this

#3 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted May 29 2018 - 11:10 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users