• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

second attempt! almost sure she's a queen this time!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline euty33 - Posted May 17 2018 - 8:26 AM

euty33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi guys! Found another ant! And this time i am much more certain that she's a queen! She has some beautiful red coloring on her underside and is fairly big, about 15mm i'd say. Caught in south western France today in the wine fields.

Any kind of ID would be really awesome! Thanks in advance!

https://imgur.com/a/88oE1Lw

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted May 17 2018 - 8:42 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Please follow the ant ID template:
http://www.formicult...t-a-new-thread/

Anyways as it currently stands it’s a Formica sp., it looks like F. polyctena.
  • T.C. and rbarreto like this

#3 Offline Deluga - Posted May 17 2018 - 9:03 AM

Deluga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I would say it looks like Formica polyctena or rufa.

It's a parasite species and needs a host.

Edited by Deluga, May 17 2018 - 9:04 AM.

Keeper of:

1x Camponotus herculeanus

1x Camponotus sylvaticus

1x Formica cinerea

1x Formica fusca

1x Formica lemani

1x Lasius flavus

2x Lasius niger

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 17 2018 - 10:12 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Definitely a queen. She's some species of parasitic Formica, so she will need a host. Luckily, Formica social parasites are much easier to raise than Lasius social parasites.

#5 Offline euty33 - Posted May 17 2018 - 11:38 AM

euty33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Oh i'm so unlucky :( finally found a real queen ant and its a social parasite, i was hoping to make my first ant culture but i'm assuming managing a parasitic queen would be way out of a beginners league ?

Sorry about the format part, forgot the part about the title, i'll make sure to get it right next time!

Thanks for the ID! abit depressed with the result, but you guys are awesome being so quick to ID these for us beginners!

#6 Offline Deluga - Posted May 17 2018 - 11:43 AM

Deluga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Keep looking.

You should have some species that should fly soon, or maybe are flying or had their flight.

Camponotus Vagus, should either have it soon or already had flew. In that case, search in logs arounds forrest. :)

• Mettcollsuss likes this

Keeper of:

1x Camponotus herculeanus

1x Camponotus sylvaticus

1x Formica cinerea

1x Formica fusca

1x Formica lemani

1x Lasius flavus

2x Lasius niger

#7 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 17 2018 - 11:44 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I believe Formica parasite queens can open cocoons without workers so it shouldn't be that hard. Just a matter of finding host species brood.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 17 2018 - 12:15 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Oh i'm so unlucky :( finally found a real queen ant and its a social parasite, i was hoping to make my first ant culture but i'm assuming managing a parasitic queen would be way out of a beginners league ?

Actually, like rbarreto said, Formica social parasites are fairly easy. First find a colony of the host, which shouldn't be too hard. Then take about a dozen or so pupae, and maybe a few workers (optional), and introduce them to the queen. If you choose to add host workers, one of the strategies from this thread should work just fine.

#9 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 17 2018 - 1:10 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Wow! A mon avis, t'es chanceux. Les Formica parasites sont une de mes fourmis preferée. Malgré, on n'en pas trop ici. Ils ne sont pas trop difficile a s'élèver non plus.

Translation: Wow. parasitic Formica are one of my favourite ants, Sadly we don`t have too many here, they are fairly easy to raise.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline euty33 - Posted May 17 2018 - 1:10 PM

euty33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks alot for the info and the link! I was doing some research on social parasites and formica species, found some cool videos too, and i came to similar conclusions. I think i will be trying to find a few pupae and maybe a few workers I'm pretty sure i can find some of the right species for her in no time, there are anthills everywhere around here. Do you guys know which species exactly i need to be looking for to give her ? 

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 17 2018 - 1:14 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Formica fusca, et ses relatives.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline euty33 - Posted May 17 2018 - 1:19 PM

euty33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

merci beaucoup! j'en voi partout!

#13 Offline euty33 - Posted May 27 2018 - 9:09 AM

euty33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

So a little update on this queen :) I managed to get a little brood and a few workers for her, and she was incredibly eager to conquer them! As soon as i put the test tube with brood and workers in her outworld, she almost instantly sprinted in there and took control of the brood and the worker still at home. It was quite fascinating to watch the entire process, as it was in a totally open test tube! It didn't take long for them to move the brood out and into the closed test tube where its nice dark and humid. Being a wood ant i put in a few leaves and branches in their outworld, ontop of usual honey and insects. The workers seems to have divided into roles of house keepers and foragers, it even seems its the same ant that forages every time (i noticed housekeeper had a piece of dirt stuck to its leg for a day or 2)

Being my first attempted colony along with her fusca neighbor, i am really excited to see the progress and growth of these 2 colonies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users