• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus sp?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline piratechef - Posted May 22 2018 - 1:26 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

Title:
1. Location (on a map) of collection (ie: city/town, state/province, country). Longmont Colorado, USA
2. Today's date 5/22/2018

Body:
1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country) Rogers Grove Park, Near stream, on a rotting log.

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens). 5/22/2018 roughly 230 pm
3. Habitat of collection On a rotting log
4. Length . i couldn't get a good measurement on it, it was fairly large though, maybe the tip of my pinky finger.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture  Dark black with redish brown midsection
6. Distinguishing characteristics the redish mark on the top of its midsection
7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.).
8. Nest description (if you can find the nest, and you're sure it belongs to the ant you collected) saw some similar Camponotus sp. around where i caught it.

9. Nuptial flight time, was few days after a rain so didn't see a nuptial flight.

New queen Camponotus sp.
Album: New queen Camponotus sp.
5 images
0 comments

New queen
New queen Camponotus sp.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 22 2018 - 4:24 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

If you are interested in determining the species of this queen, we will absolutely need an accurate length. "The tip of my pinky finger" is a little ambiguous, to say the least.

Judging by only the coloration, which is also compromised in definition by the nature of the photographs, I might consider Camponotus novaeboracensis as an option.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 22 2018 - 7:51 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

From the lighter colouration, I would say Camponotus caryae. Looks like some sort of Myrmentoma to me. I'm not 100% sure though. We need measurements.

• LC3 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted May 23 2018 - 8:54 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

If it is Camponotus novaeboracensis, it sure is a skinny one.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline piratechef - Posted May 23 2018 - 9:13 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

its 15 mm i believe from my measurements including the antenna although I don't think they were fully extended as I was trying to be quick  . ill get better pictures when i check on her again. I have had some bad luck with founding stages so I'm trying not to stress her out. I checked on the local species and only 11 local Camponotus so that narrows it down a bit B) . Thank you all for your help. :)

Edited by piratechef, May 23 2018 - 9:13 PM.

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 24 2018 - 4:31 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Camponotus  caryae is about 12-13mm while Camponotus novaeborecensis is about 15-18mm

(without antennae)

We don't really have the best measurements considering the antennae were incuded

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 24 2018 - 6:44 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

If it's a Myrmentoma group Carpenter Ant, it'd likely be C. nearcitcus as opposed to C. caryae, which is typically uniform black. Why don't you take some pictures of the ant beside a quarter or something? That might establish a better frame of reference.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 24 2018 - 6:50 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

If it's a Myrmentoma group Carpenter Ant, it'd likely be C. nearcitcus as opposed to C. caryae, which is typically uniform black. Why don't you take some pictures of the ant beside a quarter or something? That might establish a better frame of reference.

Here,  Camponotus caryae is more bicoloured while nearticus is more  black.

#9 Offline piratechef - Posted May 24 2018 - 7:35 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Camponotus  caryae is about 12-13mm while Camponotus novaeborecensis is about 15-18mm

(without antennae)

We don't really have the best measurements considering the antennae were incuded

Sorry I was just following drews guide for Identification. Ill get a picture next to a quarter or something. Sorry this is my first Id post

#10 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 24 2018 - 9:18 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Nono,  milllimeters is the best way,it's just that antennae don't count

#11 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 24 2018 - 9:46 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

She looks to be a Myrmentoma species, perhaps C. sayi or decipiens.

#12 Offline piratechef - Posted May 24 2018 - 10:02 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Nono,  milllimeters is the best way,it's just that antennae don't count

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I got some pictures next to a quarter for size comparison also

Camponotus queen
Camponotus queen
Camponotus queen size comparison

I'm guessing its a nearcitcus from what you all have been saying. Thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users