• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Interesting Brachymyrmex vs. Pheidole Interaction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 22 2018 - 8:01 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I am reporting an observation between an incipient colony of Brachymyrmex cf. patagonicus of about 15-20 workers, and a small colony of Pheidole cf. floridana of about 50 workers.

I introduced the Pheidole colony to a new foraging area.  These are small ants, about 1.5 mm in length.  The ants have been collecting food and tailoring the entrance to their nest, which is a 16 mm test tube.

About 12 hours after introducing the Pheidole, I connected the Brachymyrmex colony to the same foraging area.  The Brachymyrmex are housed in a 13 mm test tube with a polyethylene cap, which has a 1.5 mm hole in the cap to serve as an entrance.  The Brachymyrmex workers have had this cap and hole for a long time, so they understand where the entrance is.  Within 2-3 minutes of introduction, I observed a single Pheidole worker discover and proceed to investigate the nest entrance hole for the Brachymyrmex colony. This worker never encountered a single ant.  Immediately upon sticking its head into the nest, the Pheidole worker exited and ran excitedly back to its own nest.

Upon returning to its own nest, the Pheidole worker recruited several nestmates who traveled back to the Brachymyrmex nest and began entering and exploring the nest.  At this time, the Brachymyrmex workers discovered the invading Pheidole workers, and sprayed them with acid, to which the nearly equally-sized Pheidole workers immediately succumbed, some limping, unable to navigate, and subsequently collapsing if sprayed multiple times.

After this initial encounter, I thought the Brachymyrmex workers could handle themselves.  But within the next few minutes, the Pheidole workers continued swarming the Brachymyrmex entrance in groups of 5 or 6, only occasionally entering the nest.  Within some minutes, the panicking Brachymyrmex workers began evacuating the nest, with the queen among the first to leave, abandoning her own workers!  One or two workers carried brood out of the nest.  I observed some Pheidole workers grapple with Brachymyrmex workers, upon which the Brachymyrmex workers immediately stopped moving, leaving the Pheidole workers to haul the adult workers and brood back to their own nest, presumably as food.

I found this interaction interesting because the first Pheidole worker appeared to smell the Brachymyrmex presence even without contacting a single ant, in so much as I could observe.  I also found it interesting that the Pheidole workers, which are relatively similarly sized, would carry the adult Brachymyrmex workers back to their own nest as food.  Many ants which invade and kill other ants simply leave the dead bodies.

Several weeks ago, I placed the Brachymyrmex nest inside the foraging area of a Camponotus colony, but removed it after some weeks upon repeatedly observing a Camponotus worker stand guard at the Brachymyrmex nest entrance facing the entrance hole, as if to say "I dare you to come out!"  It is fascinating that as omnipresent as this tramp ant is, incipient colonies of Brachymyrmex, at the very least, appear to be highly vulnerable to attack and predation by most native ants.

Not wanting to lose the Brachymyrmex colony, I disconnected it and collected back all the ants, which are now safe and sound.  After placing the colony in a fluon-lined bin with their old test tube nest and two liquid feeders, I discovered after several hours that the colony had relocated inside the threads of the smallest liquid feeder which contained water.  From this, I would speculate that their strategy is to seek out tight cracks and crevices with restricted access, so as to avoid other ants to which they might easily fall prey.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 22 2018 - 11:46 PM.

• AntsAreUs, Martialis, Enderz and 4 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 23 2018 - 12:54 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
Interesting read. I’m new to ant keeping it even ant observing, but I tend to agree with your conclusion. The only thing that surprises me is that the Camponotus tolerated them enough to not out rite attack them.

#3 Offline anttics - Posted May 24 2018 - 8:55 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Camponotus species are bullies. Not killers. I have seen them push other ants away from food, and just let them go. But i doubt camps will raid, and kill an entire colony. I expect such behavior from pehidole, fire ants, argentine ants. Mostly meat hunting species are the evil colony killers. Lol.
  • Shifty189 likes this

#4 Offline anttics - Posted May 24 2018 - 8:58 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I would like to try this. But all.my species are very different in size, and colony numbers. I would probably try this once 2 of my colonies have an insane numbers. I would do it as a population control. But i do feel kind of bad doing this. I love my colonies. I would hate to see them kill eachother.

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 24 2018 - 9:16 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I know Lasius are very much killers once they reach a certain number.  I lost a good many colonies last year when my Lasius found an escape route  and raided my other colonies

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users