• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker ID + Queen 5-22-18 Northeastern MI (Lower Penninsula)

Best Answer Canadian anter , May 22 2018 - 7:37 PM

First might be Lasius interjectus. Second one you are correct.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 22 2018 - 5:37 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I found a huge colony of these workers and pupae under a piece of old concrete.

Location: Northeastern michigan (lower penninsula) under a large slab of concrete. The concrete itself was in a field/grassy opening in a forest.

Date caught: 5-22-18.

Length: 5mm

Coloration: Yellow, or maybe slightly orangish.

Other information: These girls had a strong (and strange) smell to them when threatened. I can't say what it smelt like, but it wasn't good nor was it necessarily bad. It was strong though.

20180522 184344

20180522 184457

20180522 184546

I need a verification I'D on the pics below. I think these are Aphaenogaster tennesseensis. Is the bigger one a queen? They were caught about 5 miles away from the workers above, under/inside rotting particle board. What I think is the queen is 5mm, she could possibly be pushing 6mm.

20180522 184636

20180522 184658

20180522 184722

The one I think (and need verified) is in the middle. Better pics of her are in the next post.

20180522 184731

20180522 184834

Edit: I'll get some better pics in a bit. I thought these were better than what they are.

Edited by Jamiesname, May 22 2018 - 6:37 PM.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:05 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Beautiful ID thread. Thank you!

Your mystery worker is a Citronella Ant; Lasius claviger, perhaps. The colony you have collected may be  Aphaenogaster tennesseensis.

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:07 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
These are a little better. . .

20180522 215615

20180522 215646

20180522 215819

20180522 220126

20180522 220540

20180522 220649

20180522 220651

I think this is a queen. Look how much larger her gaster and mesosoma are compared with the other ants of the same colony.
20180522 222249

Edited by Jamiesname, May 22 2018 - 6:24 PM.

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:31 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Your mystery worker is a Citronella Ant; Lasius claviger, perhaps. The colony you have collected may be  Aphaenogaster tennesseensis.

Do Clavigar workers get that big? I have a L. Latipes colony and the workers are about 2/3 to 3/4 this size.

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:39 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Do Clavigar workers get that big? I have a L. Latipes colony and the workers are about 2/3 to 3/4 this size.

Lots of species are slightly polymorphic. There are several fairly large L. claviger colonies in my backyard with sizeable workers; I think it's a matter of maturity.

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 22 2018 - 7:37 PM   Best Answer

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

First might be Lasius interjectus. Second one you are correct.

• Jamiesname likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 23 2018 - 5:52 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius interjectus are the largest Lasius sp. that we have and one of the only species from that genus to have its nuptial flights in late spring/early summer (which might explain that male pupa.)

Your other ants appear to be Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, but none of the photographs show off any diagnostic features. You might want to use better light for macro.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 23 2018 - 6:00 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 23 2018 - 5:59 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Lasius interjectus are the largest Lasius sp. that we have and one of the only species from that genus to have its nuptial flights in late spring/early summer (which would explain that reproductive-caste pupa.)

Your other ants appear to be Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, but none of the photographs show off any diagnostic features. You might want to use better light for macro.

Batspiderfish, I've recently been seeing large brood in colonies of Lasius pallitarsis as well as Lasius interjectus. Any idea if there are perhaps other records for early-flying  Lasius? Additionally,  it could be one of the smaller Acanthomyops with just vell fed workers. The Lasius interjectus I've  seen have reached 7mm

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 23 2018 - 6:13 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius interjectus are the largest Lasius sp. that we have and one of the only species from that genus to have its nuptial flights in late spring/early summer (which would explain that reproductive-caste pupa.)

Batspiderfish, I've recently been seeing large brood in colonies of Lasius pallitarsis as well as Lasius interjectus. Any idea if there are perhaps other records for early-flying  Lasius? Additionally,  it could be one of the smaller Acanthomyops with just vell fed workers. The Lasius interjectus I've  seen have reached 7mm

Curious! Was it a careful ID? Lasius pallitarsis is host to Lasius subumbratus, an outwardly similar-looking species that has flights in early summer and fall. Lasius alienus would probably be a little harder to mistaken, but they might be starting on alates at this time of year as well. Otherwise, it could just be a charactaristic of eastward L. pallitarsis.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 23 2018 - 6:17 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#10 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 23 2018 - 8:20 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I ID'ed them last year and were pretty sure they were Lasius pallitarsis, I haven't ever seen them this early. The alienus in my yard only start producing in July. Another user, the one with the Lasius umbratus journal found similar larvae in an unidentified Lasius nest

#11 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 23 2018 - 3:23 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Few more pics since I had originally intended to post them today anyways. I guess for no other reason then to beat a dead horse. Positive side is that after all this I decided to get a macro lense lol. It'll be here Saturday.

20180523 185109

20180523 184815

20180523 185125

20180523 184943

Edited by Jamiesname, May 23 2018 - 4:59 PM.

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 23 2018 - 4:27 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Yup! A. tennesseensis.

----

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users