• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to extract a colony from a log?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 16 2018 - 2:25 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Anyone know a good method of extracting a queen with as many workers as possible from a 12" x 8" log? So far I've got the log in a tote with a baby powder barrier. I was planning on breaking it apart in the tote, but I thought that maybe there was a better way with less risk of killing the queen.

It's an Aphaenogaster tennesseensis colony if that matters.

Edited by Jamiesname, May 16 2018 - 2:26 PM.

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted May 16 2018 - 2:28 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I would let the log dry out and let them move into a test tube.

#3 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 16 2018 - 3:30 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I would let the log dry out and let them move into a test tube.

Thanks. Just finished setting it up. I didn't use a test tube though, but a small homemade formicarium. I put it in there with a little bit of sugar water next to the entrance to get them interested. I'll leave it there for a few weeks and see what happens. I think if I keep the formicarium dark and hydrated they will eventually be forced to move once the log is too dry.

Keep the ideas coming though, in case this one doesn't work.

#4 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted May 16 2018 - 11:48 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I use this method for whole colony extraction from soil and wood, and it works really well.

My go-to:

1. Place colony within medium into five gallon bucket or large tote
  2. Line edges with Vaseline (any good barrier works fine)
  3. Place several test tubes into container
    1. I don't leave the test tube end completely open. I've found it works better when I plug the end of the test tube with cotton and use a cut drinking straw to create a smaller opening.
  4. Place in a dark space and check back periodically
    1. You'll want to toss in some protein and leave some sugar water when you check in, but other than that, leave them alone and in the dark as much as possible.

AntsAreUs recommended using a test tube, and I agree. You want to minimize messing around with them during this process, so a new home that doesn't have to be rehydrated is ideal. Leave as many test tubes in the container as you think will be appropriate; they'll use what they need, but may be reluctant to move if there isn't enough space. Once the colony is in the test tubes, you can easily move them from there into a formicarium of your choosing, and seeing the whole colony in that way will help you pick an appropriately sized formicarium.

Patience is key here. As the initial medium dries out, they'll want to be in a new home. Best of luck.

Edited by Cameron C. Thomas, May 16 2018 - 11:49 PM.

• Bracchymyrmex, VoidElecent and BobJ like this

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted May 17 2018 - 8:37 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

We use a wood furnace to heat the house, so we burn wood. Often when sawing and splitting fallen trees I run into all sorts of colonies.In the winter the whole colonies can be dumped into a bucket, and because it's so cold they can't move. Just like that you have a whole colony with the queen and all. I guess what I am getting at, is I use chain saws, axes, and wood splitters to get colonies out.If you get a clean split, it's as easy as stealing candy from a baby.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 17 2018 - 2:58 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Anyone know a good method of extracting a queen with as many workers as possible from a 12" x 8" log? So far I've got the log in a tote with a baby powder barrier. I was planning on breaking it apart in the tote, but I thought that maybe there was a better way with less risk of killing the queen.

It's an Aphaenogaster tennesseensis colony if that matters.

As T.C mentioned, it will be easy to extract them if they are in a cold state and you use tools to carefully cut the lot. If possible, cool the log to 45 degrees Fahrenheit, then carefully cut one end and shake out the colony, it might be your best bet.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#7 Offline anttics - Posted May 22 2018 - 9:41 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
You can cool the log with ice. Put a tube to a warm formicarium with dirt in it. Or wood. I move all my colonie s woth cold and heat. I have noved colonies like this in less than 15 minutes. They hate the cold.
  • Cameron C. Thomas and Jamiesname like this

#8 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 22 2018 - 5:15 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

You can cool the log with ice. Put a tube to a warm formicarium with dirt in it. Or wood. I move all my colonie s woth cold and heat. I have noved colonies like this in less than 15 minutes. They hate the cold.

Genius! It worked - thanks!

#9 Offline anttics - Posted May 23 2018 - 9:27 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
NP. i used to struggle to move my coloni3s from test tubes etc. Then winter came. I notice. They will follow the heat cable. That made me realise they will move were i wanted them to with cold and heat. I have moved a colonyn of 2000 ants with this method in 3 hours. Brood seeds eveything. I'm glad i could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users