• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera spp

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 14 2018 - 12:37 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

First journal! Nabbed a small two queen colony from under a rock and then brood boosted them with pupae. I ave them housed in a petri dish full of dirt. They dragged all the pupae and 1 larvae into a cavity in the center. I've never kept a ponerine species before so I need help.

• Karma likes this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 14 2018 - 1:04 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Are you sure this is Hypoponera? I'm pretty sure most if not all Hypoponera are monogynous. Ponera are however polygynous. Anyway for keeping, you can feed them mostly anything but they don't really need sugar. Small food items are preferred due to their small size. Fruit flies may be the easiest to get/use. As for the setup I would highly recommend you get springtails to add to the setup or else mold will take over. They may possibly hunt on the springtails too.

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 14 2018 - 4:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I dropped in some springtails, but they all got eaten. how many should i put in?Also, I live in california and i don't think ponera is present.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 14 2018 - 5:25 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I dropped in some springtails, but they all got eaten. how many should i put in?Also, I live in california and i don't think ponera is present.

Ah, ok, I'm not too familiar with CA ants. I would say you should sort of try to culture the springtails inside their setup. You may obviously need to continue adding springtails over and over until this happens. Once you get a balance to work out, your life becomes that much easier.

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2018 - 9:01 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Thanks! Also,how do I make them comfortable enough to lay?

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2018 - 11:32 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

After checking some sources, I am pretty sure they are indeed ponera pensylvannica.

How do I change the title?

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 15 2018 - 12:20 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Hypoponera and Ponera are very similar in appearance. If you look underneath the petiole node, do you see a tiny backward-facing spike?

• Enderz likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 15 2018 - 12:59 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

After checking some sources, I am pretty sure they are indeed ponera pensylvannica.

How do I change the title?

There are some key differences between Ponera and Hypoponera. As Batspiderfish pointed there is a small hook under the petiole of Ponera which is the main way to tell them apart. Hypoponera are normally a bit slimmer or smaller than Ponera but not always smaller. Hypoponera queens in comparison to Ponera queens the thorax is more bulky in Ponera queens. The care for both of these are very similar, although I would say Hypoponera are possibly pickier in what they eat. Ponera seem to be able to eat most normally used feeders.

Edited by AntsAreUs, June 15 2018 - 4:00 PM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 15 2018 - 2:54 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

If these were collected in California they are Hypoponera.

• Batspiderfish likes this

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2018 - 5:22 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh. They look so similar. Do cocoon pieces promote mold? They're scattered everywhere.

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2018 - 5:23 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

There is indeed a spike. It was complicated getting a worker out to look.

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 17 2018 - 9:24 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Worker count went up to 8. They are much more active now. :)

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 20 2018 - 4:03 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Was able to ID them as H. opacior. These girls are viscous hunters. They decimated the twenty spring tails in there and left one little one alive. They lunge around and run all over the setup. Also, they seemed have laid eggs. I thought they were cocoon pieces, but then some workers carried them away from the light. Sorry for the lack of pictures, they're just too small.

Edited by ponerinecat, June 20 2018 - 4:39 PM.

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 29 2018 - 10:06 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I can see several small larvae with the eggs. These girls seem much easier to raise than ponera. I found a good food sourc are fly larvae. Put some fertilizer out and keep it moist, and some should start appearring.

#15 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 29 2018 - 10:35 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

I can see several small larvae with the eggs. These girls seem much easier to raise than ponera. I found a good food sourc are fly larvae. Put some fertilizer out and keep it moist, and some should start appearring.

is it wise though to feed your ants other insects that have been rolling around in fertalizer?

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#16 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 29 2018 - 2:54 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

is it wise though to feed your ants other insects that have been rolling around in fertalizer?

Hypoponera are vastly different from other ants. They can pretty much live off springtails. Although as long as there isn't anything bad with the fertilizer...

#17 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 30 2018 - 11:14 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The fertilizer was sterilized, and the ants loved the maggots.

#18 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 30 2018 - 12:11 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

i was just mostly worried about the fertilizer, like is it all natural or is it something like miracle gro?

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#19 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 1 2018 - 9:23 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It's all natural, made of plant cuttings and rotting vegetables. I baked it before putting it out.

#20 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 2 2018 - 3:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had a huge stroke of bad luck this morning. My Camponautus modoc queen ate her large larvae, and my other unidentified Camponautus queen ate three of her five eggs. Worst of all, when I checked on the H. opacior, they were all gone except for one half dead worker. Most likely a civil war broke out from some workers not recognizing each other. :(  Luckily I found one lone queen under a slab and some more pupae. The queen has already adopted the eggs and larvae and piled them in the back of a tunnel I poked in some dirt in a test tube I just have to slowly add the pupae now. Hopefully this works.

Edited by ponerinecat, July 2 2018 - 3:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users