• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Niger ? (Lausanne, Switzerland) 27/07/15

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline frotaur - Posted July 27 2015 - 4:26 AM

frotaur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
Exactly a month ago I collected a queen ant in Lausanne, Switzerland. It was on the sidewalk, close to a (very) small park, a patch of grass, rather.

There were hundreds of them, and I even took a ride on my bicycle along the lake, and they were almost everywhere I looked. They seemed to be all of the same species. So anyway I took this queen and put her in a test tube, and now one month later there a plenty of eggs, cocoons, and the first nanitics are born.

Of what I could find on the internet, I think it should be a Lasius Niger queen, but I judje mostly with the color and by the fact that they were everywhere. Anyway, here some photos I took. If you require any additional photos or informations please do ask, I'll try to do my best.

Edit : Forgot the photos. Also, concerning the color of the queen, it's mostly black, and it becomes brownish om the legs.

Attached Images

• WP_20150726_008.jpg
  • WP_20150727_004.jpg

Edited by frotaur, July 27 2015 - 4:36 AM.

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 27 2015 - 5:38 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Welcome! And yes, this is Lasius Niger. Congratulations on her getting workers! What formicarium do you plan on using?

#3 Offline frotaur - Posted July 27 2015 - 6:26 AM

frotaur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know yet, as for now I'm traveling so I'm keeping her in the test tube. However I was thinking of constructing a "natural" one of my own.

To explain myself, I plan on taking two large rectangles of glass, and fix them at 3-4 cm of distance of one another, and seal them on 3 sides. Then I'd fill the space between the glass with dirt, or sand (I have yet to do some research on which one of the two would be more suitable, in terms of humidity mostly ).

Do you think that could work ? I really want for them to dig their own nest, so as to see what will they come up, instead of introducing them to an already prepared nest.

Of course, I would connect that to an " outworld ".

Also, how much time could I still keep them in the test tube/ how many ants can live there ? Also, I noticed some mold started forming on the cotton, but I read that this is normal and does not bother the ants unless it is too much, is this true ? And thank you for your fast answer.

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 27 2015 - 6:40 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
https://www.antstore.net/also has some dirt formicariums that should ship to your area. Or you can make your own. The most important feature is soil mixture and proper drainage. A little bit of mold shouldn't hurt them, but keep an eye out for eat, so it doesn't get out of hand. I'd say your colony could live in one test tube, and an outworld, for a year or two. You could add test tubes as you go if they can't fit in one. You would have to change them out anyways, it's whatever you prefer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users