• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus herculeanus 2018

dermy camponotus herculeanus 2018

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted May 8 2018 - 10:25 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I collected this Queen [and all others that will be in this Journal] during the May 2018 Nuptial Flight:

She still has wings but I'm not counting that as "in-fertile" like some would suggest. I set her up in one of my Pill Bottle test-tube like setups with a child-resistant cap [that last part is super important for me] Here's a little video I made explaining the process some-what:

And finally here's the Camponotus herculeanus queen herself:

Unfortunately due to the slow start of this species there probably won't be much updates for awhile :|

• Karma likes this

#2 Offline Karma - Posted May 8 2018 - 7:45 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

Nice!!! I caught one on May 1st. I rarely see them in my area so I was pretty happy to find one. I'll be waiting to hear your progress!

The queen I caught has already laid about 6-8 eggs, hoping they hatch in the next month and a half.

Also just wanted to ask what temperature you keep these queens at, I try and keep mine between 26C and 31C, although the temp fluctuates quite a bit so it's hard to tell.

#3 Offline dermy - Posted May 8 2018 - 9:47 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

My temperature is a lot cooler than yours probably around 23-25c at best. I have limited areas to keep my ants/queens because my brother will kill them.

• Karma likes this

#4 Offline GeorgeK - Posted May 9 2018 - 1:33 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I too had 2 queens with wings that were fertile. One even now has wings, even tho this is second year of the colony. Other queen had her wings removed by first workers

• dermy and Karma like this

#5 Offline Karma - Posted May 9 2018 - 2:49 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

My temperature is a lot cooler than yours probably around 23-25c at best. I have limited areas to keep my ants/queens because my brother will kill them.

Ahhh I see, that's still good. Mine laid a couple more eggs. The queen actually had an egg stuck to her side and couldn't get it so I had to tilt her upside down so she fell and the egg fell off too, it was quite funny but turned out okay. Wondering what would've happened to the egg if I wasn't there to assist.

#6 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 9 2018 - 9:16 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Ahhh I see, that's still good. Mine laid a couple more eggs. The queen actually had an egg stuck to her side and couldn't get it so I had to tilt her upside down so she fell and the egg fell off too, it was quite funny but turned out okay. Wondering what would've happened to the egg if I wasn't there to assist.
I have had a number of queens do this :lol:, it's hilarious. I never assist them, the eggs eventually make it back to the egg pile by themselves.
  • dermy likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#7 Offline Karma - Posted May 10 2018 - 8:07 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have had a number of queens do this :lol:, it's hilarious. I never assist them, the eggs eventually make it back to the egg pile by themselves.

Hahahaha really? that's hilarious  :D. That's good then, I'll watch closely next time and not assist them to see what happens.

#8 Offline dermy - Posted May 12 2018 - 3:52 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

May 12th/2018

One of the queens has begun egg-laying:

It should be around 1.5 Months or a bit more till I get first workers. Usually sometime in July.

• Karma and irvosanjose like this

#9 Offline kingz2015 - Posted January 29 2019 - 9:00 PM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
How sure are you that these queens are camponotus Herculeanus?
  • Karma and TennesseeAnts like this

#10 Offline Karma - Posted January 29 2019 - 10:26 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

How sure are you that these queens are camponotus Herculeanus?

Well it can be really hard to tell just by the queen and even workers sometimes since Camponotus can have such varying colours and still be classified as the same specific species. Camponotus Herculeanus are most easily identified by red/orange legs along with (forgive me I don't know the technical terms for these things) the back part of the thorax (the part that's closest to the abdomen) being red/orange. The sides of thorax should also be red/orange too. Location can also be a good checker, seeing what species of Camponotus live in your area.

Edited by Karma, January 29 2019 - 10:29 PM.

#11 Offline kingz2015 - Posted January 30 2019 - 2:36 AM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Supposedly there are camponotus Herculeanus in New York and North of here, but I don't know anyone who has found any. I do know they're in Canada though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, camponotus herculeanus, 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users