• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis imparis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 20 2018 - 5:42 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
I was outside during a prenepolis imparis flight, I could not catch any. Will they have more in a couple of days, or are they done for the year. I don’t want to spend a hundred dollars buying a colony.

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 20 2018 - 5:52 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

They will most likely fly tomorrow. I made a thread about Prenolepis last year, http://www.formicult.../?hl=prenolepis. Please take a look at that, it will answer many of your questions.

Side note: T.C. is right, we need to have an easier way for people to find threads before they create another unnecessary, repetitive one. Use the search bar and if you can't find answers to what you are looking for, then make a new thread. Don't go around making new threads until you have thoroughly searched the forum (there's a high chance you will find what you are looking for). 

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, February 20 2018 - 5:53 PM.

• Mettcollsuss and Will230145 like this

#3 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 20 2018 - 6:14 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thankyou!

#4 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 20 2018 - 6:38 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Nice, I didn't have the chance to look outside today but I am pretty sure there was no flight here (your neighbors, new jersey.)
But yeah, we most likely will have a large flight tommorow, conditions are perfect. No worries, when the large flight happens, it is more difficult to NOT get P. Imparis queens then not being able to get any, because their is usualy so many! I also suggest if you have any, spots and patches of dirt where their is less grass or maybe some moss near it, I find massive amounts of mated P. Imparis in those areas. Good luck!

#5 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 20 2018 - 7:00 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Well, we are supposed to get rain all day tommorow. so yeah... it will also be around freezing on Wednesday!

Edited by Will230145, February 20 2018 - 7:01 PM.

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 20 2018 - 7:04 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Well, we are supposed to get rain all day tommorow. so yeah... it will also be around freezing on Wednesday!

aw damn. Well I am sure that todays flight in PA won't be the only flight with P. Imparis Their is usualy 2-3 others after the first nice day of the year but they are usualy random

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted February 20 2018 - 11:27 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
I edited the title, it's not spelt "Prenepolis imparis." ;)
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#8 Offline disasterants - Posted April 30 2018 - 6:49 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

I recently caught a prenelopis imparis queen and posted about it on my account. first things first: at this point it is definitely too late for you to catch a winter ant queen but don't fret. I tried to catch one last year and had no luck but perhaps that's because I didn't know the rule. you see, in my area in upstate new york, the rule is that winter ants fly on the first warm day of the year in april; when it hits 65-75 degrees for the first time and preferably after a rainstorm. I actually nearly missed their nuptial flight which is one of the reasons I could only catch one since i started searching outside at 5:00 pm and they started flying in the morning(i'm guessing) or maybe they're just difficult to find in my area. but don't cry over spilled milk; there's always next year to go out for winter ant nuptial flight. 

a quick pointer on finding winter ant colonies: look near the base of tree trunks on cold days, they should be foraging there. a lot of people think that there only in the country but I know a colony at a base of a crab apple tree in my front yard in the suburbs; remember: if you can't find a certain ant species you're probably just not looking in the right place. 

hope you can make some sense of my rambling. 

finally, i wouldn't spend $85 on a colony if I was you... just wait until next year; but if you really want to, i guess you can spend $85 on a colony. it's just my opinion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users