• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Potential Formicarium idea?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 30 2018 - 7:53 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Ok,  so I know that gel farms are generally regarded as terrible for antkeeping.  But I was thinking of a design of an outworld for the aphid rearing species such as the Parasitic Lasius or more specialize species such as Acropyga. I was thinking if we could grow plants  in the gels used for growing plants. Would  it be possible to either create caverns inside this growing gel  to rear these mealybug/root aphid specializing species? Keep  in mind this will not be gel that the ANTS eat, but the gel the PLANTS  eat.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 30 2018 - 8:53 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I was thinking of this idea too. Just growing plants in agar and letting the ants farm aphids.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted April 30 2018 - 8:59 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

And how do you intend on keeping the ants from digging in the gel? If they had a natural nest they may not dig, since it's just not natural to them.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 30 2018 - 10:01 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

The  ants would be able to dig in the gel in the case I'm thinking of.  However, it might be possible to use a layer of non-toxic latex  or  something of the sort.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users