• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

prenepolis imparis queen mixing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline disasterants - Posted May 1 2018 - 1:08 PM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

17 days ago, i caught a winter ant queen and today, i caught another one under a rock with a damaged gaster and mixed them together. i'm already having second thoughts, was this a stupid idea?

the queen had a lot of scattered brood and was sitting on top of a pile of 4 or 5, a few minutes after putting the other queen in, all of the scattered brood had "disappeared" which made me doubt my choice even more... 

#2 Offline disasterants - Posted May 1 2018 - 5:03 PM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

the "chubby" queen ant that I had for a while seemed to be feeding the skinny ant which i just caught but at the same time pushing her away from her eggs...

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 1 2018 - 5:14 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I wouldn't be to scared about it. If the eggs really did disappear, then they were most likely eaten by your original queen, which isn't too bad, as she can cycle back what she eats to lay new eggs. You might want to put honey inside for the newer queen to focus on so that she doesn't bother or stress your original one out too much. Give them time to get used to each other, I doubt any of them would get killed. If you put food inside for the new queen, she won't have to feed off of or rely on the care of the first queen.

#4 Offline disasterants - Posted May 2 2018 - 3:09 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

I wouldn't be to scared about it. If the eggs really did disappear, then they were most likely eaten by your original queen, which isn't too bad, as she can cycle back what she eats to lay new eggs. You might want to put honey inside for the newer queen to focus on so that she doesn't bother or stress your original one out too much. Give them time to get used to each other, I doubt any of them would get killed. If you put food inside for the new queen, she won't have to feed off of or rely on the care of the first queen.

oh good. I think that she piled a decent amount of them up under her anyway. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users