• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#641 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted June 9 2021 - 6:07 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
You guys are lucky you get all the flights before us.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#642 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 9 2021 - 6:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Has anyone gotten Temnothorax yet?

Yep. Lots of them at my light.

Nice! Still haven't found any, but I also haven't been blacklighting or anything. Just kinda wandering around the woods at night.

#643 Offline AleeGuy - Posted June 10 2021 - 5:22 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Has anyone gotten Temnothorax yet?

Yep. Lots of them at my light.
Nice! when do you catch the most alates? Around what time? I heard that from sunset-10 PM is the best time.

#644 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2021 - 7:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

That's right, Ali. Basically anytime after sunset.

• AleeGuy and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#645 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 12 2021 - 7:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Pheidole bicarinata and Pheidole dentata have started flying. I collected a queen of the former and saw several males poking their heads out of their nest for the latter.

• ANTdrew likes this

#646 Offline AleeGuy - Posted June 12 2021 - 7:58 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
At what time of the day do they fly?

Edited by AleeGuy, June 12 2021 - 7:58 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#647 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 12 2021 - 8:00 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

At what time of the day do they fly?

Ph. dentata fly in the early morning with the other normal species, and Ph. bicarinata fly in the late evening.

• ANTdrew and AleeGuy like this

#648 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2021 - 3:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Lots of flights yesterday in NoVa. Tetramorium flew in the morning. Lots of Nylanderia, Temnothorax, and even Colobopsis came to my light in the evening. Still waiting for Pheidole, though. Sad face emoji
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#649 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 20 2021 - 5:47 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Lots of flights yesterday in NoVa. Tetramorium flew in the morning. Lots of Nylanderia, Temnothorax, and even Colobopsis came to my light in the evening. Still waiting for Pheidole, though. Sad face emoji

did ya catch any colobopsis

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#650 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 20 2021 - 7:14 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Haven't seen but one Colo male over here. I really just need a new black light. My old one kinda kicked the bucket this last season. Also happy father's day!
  • ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#651 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 20 2021 - 9:10 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Got a few Temnothorax tonight. Saw many males but only 4 queens.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#652 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2021 - 3:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It was actually quite windy last night, so the big flights I was expecting didn’t materialize. I did collect three Temnothorax, and I finally found one Pheidole cf bicarinata! Colobopsis were everywhere. Nylanderia were everywhere on Saturday, but there were almost none last night.

Edited by ANTdrew, June 21 2021 - 3:36 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#653 Offline AleeGuy - Posted June 21 2021 - 5:38 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

It was actually quite windy last night, so the big flights I was expecting didn’t materialize. I did collect three Temnothorax, and I finally found one Pheidole cf bicarinata! Colobopsis were everywhere. Nylanderia were everywhere on Saturday, but there were almost none last night.

Why this should happen everytime when I'm not in VA  :*(

• Ants_Dakota and Antkeeper01 like this

#654 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2021 - 2:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Still no big Pheidole flights. There was actually a sizable Camponotus pennsylvanicus flight. A queen came right to my light, and my buddy also got one at his!
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

#655 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 22 2021 - 10:42 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Still no big Pheidole flights. There was actually a sizable Camponotus pennsylvanicus flight. A queen came right to my light, and my buddy also got one at his!

hey! someone who catches camponotus queens at the same time as we do here in SD! all i have been hearing about is other peoples queens they caught this year that have workers now...

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#656 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2021 - 10:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

hey! someone who catches camponotus queens at the same time as we do here in SD! all i have been hearing about is other peoples queens they caught this year that have workers now...
Pretty odd, but I’ll take it!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#657 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 22 2021 - 1:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Mine're on their second gen... :lol:

#658 Offline jplelito - Posted June 23 2021 - 8:00 AM

jplelito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC USA
Pheidole Heads up from around Raleigh NC to the VA folks - last two nights had big flights of Pheidole bicarinata here, and AM of 6/21 I caught a P. tysoni. Next few days will be too cool overnight (tysoni fly just prior to dawn in my experience) but when it warms up again they’ll go nuts. Dentigula and dentata will also fly. The latter two also seem to be early before dawn flyers. Don’t turn the black light off until you can see actual sunlight in the sky or you might miss half the queens. Happy hunting! More or less I’d guess this is the one or two week warning for you slightly more north of us here in NC.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#659 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2021 - 8:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Pheidole Heads up from around Raleigh NC to the VA folks - last two nights had big flights of Pheidole bicarinata here, and AM of 6/21 I caught a P. tysoni. Next few days will be too cool overnight (tysoni fly just prior to dawn in my experience) but when it warms up again they’ll go nuts. Dentigula and dentata will also fly. The latter two also seem to be early before dawn flyers. Don’t turn the black light off until you can see actual sunlight in the sky or you might miss half the queens. Happy hunting! More or less I’d guess this is the one or two week warning for you slightly more north of us here in NC.

Duly noted! I need to set some early alarms and try some pre-dawn blacklighting.

#660 Offline AleeGuy - Posted June 26 2021 - 6:41 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
Found around 30 Temnothorax queens today(there were at least 2 or 3 different spp. of them) and 1 colobopsis queen under a blacklight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users