• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Requesting ID: Alphen aan den Rijn, Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands 8-4-2018

myrmica rubra ant id grassland soil spikes sting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rubenvis24 - Posted April 8 2018 - 9:59 AM

Rubenvis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

1. Location of collection: just outside of Alphen aan den Rijn, Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands

2. Date of collection: 8 of April, 2018. Around 16:30.

3. Habitat of collection: Found in a greenhouse on dry soil. The greenhouse was near grassland.

4. Length (from head to gaster): around 5 mm (see picture 3)

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: A rusty red color over the entire body, with hairs all over the body. Shiny gaster.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: two spike-like appendages on the thorax of the ant. This makes me suspect it could be Myrmica rubra. (see picture 2)

7. Distinguishing behavior: Tried to sting collection vial roughly 10 times its size, but fled from group of Lasius niger

8. Nest description: I could not find a nest opening, but some of them were beneath a stone tile. No brood was present under said tile.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: No ants were flying

Sorry for the blurry pictures, my microscope isn't exactly high-end.

gqGdBYr.jpg

8cB69PS.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture. These are the appendages I talked about. 

XHneLBI.jpg

As you can see, it's around 5 mm in length.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 8 2018 - 10:29 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

What a marvelous identification thread. I think Myrmica is accurate, although getting down to the species level might be a bit of a pain. I can't seem to find any reliable guides covering that geographic region.

• Rubenvis24 likes this

#3 Offline Rubenvis24 - Posted April 8 2018 - 10:32 AM

Rubenvis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

What a marvelous identification thread. I think Myrmica is accurate, although getting down to the species level might be a bit of a pain. I can't seem to find any reliable guides covering that geographic region.

Thanks, I will look into the different Myrmica species in my area to hopefully get myself an exact species. 

#4 Offline Formicarius - Posted April 8 2018 - 2:03 PM

Formicarius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

My money is on Myrmica cf. rubra.

#5 Offline Rubenvis24 - Posted April 8 2018 - 2:07 PM

Rubenvis24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

My money is on Myrmica cf. rubra.

I suspect so too. Thanks for your input!

Edited by Rubenvis24, April 8 2018 - 2:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmica rubra, ant id, grassland, soil, spikes, sting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users