• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating pad vs heat cable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted April 5 2018 - 9:06 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

I need to order a heating .. something.  I can only find 11' cables or larger. I have a dozen test tubes. 11 feet seems overkill. Just do it? Is a heating pad a viable option? Is there a smaller option? I am not planning on keeping additional queens. Even if I catch more, I will likely sell or trade off any extras.

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 5 2018 - 9:14 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah, they are long, but not ALL of that length is heated. 

There's a mark (black strip) that shows how much is actually heating. I don't recall off the top of my head (Millers recommendation) but maybe something like half? It works really well in a true "just set it and forget it."

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline CNewton - Posted April 5 2018 - 9:18 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

OK. I suppose I will just plan on being able to line formicariums along the length of it in the future.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 5 2018 - 10:16 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

It may just be personal opinion, but I really liked being able to direct the heat. I could put heat HERE but not here, or here, ya?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 5 2018 - 1:34 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I personally like heating pads, it is what I use. Amazon has lots of options for pads and I only ended up paying $11 dollars for an 8 by 8 inch one. It works great and is really convenient.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users