• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termite habitat on kickstarter

termite

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted January 3 2015 - 4:17 AM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

A friend linked this to me and I thought it would be good for discussion and ideas. 

Termitat

It's a colony without a queen so it'll be of little interest to anyone here except that the enclosure is a pretty slick design.

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

If you need something 3d printed I'm on 3d Hubs

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 3 2015 - 6:58 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Interesting.

I wonder if that is one of the species in which a worker can become a queen?

Either way, they don't ship to my location.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline dean_k - Posted January 3 2015 - 6:59 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Looking over the options, there are choices with a colony although obviously it cannot be shipped outside of US.

The guy sounds sincere enough. I'd love to back the project but I am afraid I can't since I live in Canada and getting just the nest itself seems pointless.

#4 Offline Alza - Posted January 3 2015 - 7:07 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

so its not out yet ?

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted January 3 2015 - 7:11 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Looking over the options, there are choices with a colony although obviously it cannot be shipped outside of US.

The guy sounds sincere enough. I'd love to back the project but I am afraid I can't since I live in Canada and getting just the nest itself seems pointless.

I agree, what point is the nest considering there are no termites in Alberta?  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted January 3 2015 - 7:48 AM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

so its not out yet ?

The Kickstarter is like a preorder.  They'll manufacture it and ship it after it's complete.

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

If you need something 3d printed I'm on 3d Hubs

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

#7 Offline Mads - Posted January 3 2015 - 8:21 AM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

I agree, what point is the nest considering there are no termites in Alberta?  :D

Apparently, termites have been found in a few places in Alberta, infesting houses. On that note, you probably don't want to try keeping a colony of drywood termites if your house isn't infested.....

There are apparently two or three species of termites that are endemic to British Columbia, one along the coast and one in the interior. Not much use to us in Alberta, but any hobbyists in BC may be interested in that.

Mads

#8 Offline dermy - Posted January 3 2015 - 9:48 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

So what your saying Mads is that if my house is infested I should breed them? [It isn't by the way]

#9 Offline dean_k - Posted January 3 2015 - 10:00 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Well, if termites infested my home, I would try to get them out and place them under my care ... to feed my ants.

Edited by dean_k, January 3 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#10 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 3 2015 - 10:52 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Yeah. This is really interesting. I like the look too.

#11 Offline LAnt - Posted January 3 2015 - 11:15 AM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I think his termite enclosure thing is at the california science center in LA.

#12 Offline Mads - Posted January 3 2015 - 11:58 AM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

So what your saying Mads is that if my house is infested I should breed them? [It isn't by the way]

No, not what I meant. What I meant is, if you already have them, you probably won't be as concerned about having a colony in your house. If you don't have them, you may not want to risk bringing them in.

Mads

#13 Offline dermy - Posted January 3 2015 - 12:00 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Ah okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

#14 Offline InsideAntz - Posted January 3 2015 - 12:26 PM

InsideAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBensalem PA (Philadelphia)
Very interesting derby, thnx for sharing.

#15 Offline William. T - Posted January 3 2015 - 6:54 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

A bit pricey, but cool nevertheless. There are some woods near my house. I go there sometimes to catch some termites to feed my inverts, catch something else that turns up.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#16 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 4 2015 - 12:42 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm not sure about Dampwood termites, I'd have to read up on it again. But, I thought, like Subterranean termites, workers can molt into queen(s). In fact, they produce MORE termites if the queen dies, as the secondary reproductives take over. Pretty sure Dampwood termites can easily turn into reproductives.

In any case, that is pretty expensive. You can literally go anywhere in most of the U.S and easily find termites. Even way up in Washington (state) you can find termites. And, most (a huge majority) termites will produce a new queen and male from just nymphs and even the workers.

Seems a waste of money to be honest. If it was cheaper, maybe. But most ants sell for MUCH cheaper than that. He is selling these termites at the price of Leafcutter ants. Termites are literally easier to find and care for than ants. Just get 100+ termites and eventually you'll have secondary reproductives and baby nymph termites who turn into adults. You don't even need a fancy container, just has to be glass or polycarbonate (not acrylic or any weak plastics).

I'd rather buy Leafcutter ants with that money than that. I mean, I love keeping termites and all...I find them very interesting...but at the price of Leafcutter ants (which are very hard to find and raise a colony of) and when you can go pretty much anywhere with termites...seems far too expensive.

(edit: That doesn't take into account the very likely hood of them dying in shipping. Especially since they need it wet ("damp"wood termites). Or that its actually illegal to ship termites in the U.S for the sole reason workers/nymphs turn into reproductives anyway.)

Edited by Vendayn, January 4 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#17 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted January 4 2015 - 7:12 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Interesting.

I wonder if that is one of the species in which a worker can become a queen?

Either way, they don't ship to my location.

Zootermopsis spp. are definitely capable of producing secondary reproductives.  My understanding is that they don't even have "true" workers.  Young larvae/nymphs perform all of the basic colony tasks, so they can easily molt into any other caste at short notice.

Edited by Myrmicinae, January 4 2015 - 7:21 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#18 Offline Alza - Posted January 4 2015 - 8:24 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Zootermopsis angusticollis is the BIGGEST in the US, and relies on secondary reproductives for colony growth. Sure you can get termites anywhere, but these are the largest you can get in the US.

#19 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 5 2015 - 12:10 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It is still illegal for them to be shipped in the U.S. And there is still the high chance (higher than ants, definitely) of them ended up dying during the shipping process.

I ran into this issue on another insect forum a long time back (Arachnoforums) of what seems to actually be very similar (might even be same person) to what this kickstarter is doing and looks exactly the same in wording, how the termites are setup. This user was selling subterranean termites (so not Dampwood), but after a lot of research I found he was a scammer involving, either multiple accounts or real life friends and/or close family members. After talking to a Myrmecologist on antdude's forum (Myrmacophyl I think, too long ago to remember who), he said it is illegal to ship ANY termite, exact same laws as ants. It was quite a bit of drama over on that forum when I uncovered his scam.

Even if (not likely, pretty rare chance for it to be same person, just seems strange the two are so similar) this isn't a scam. I don't see how he'd keep the termites alive during shipping. And EVEN if he figured it out, it is still illegal in every U.S state to ship termites...the same laws apply to them as ants.

Edited by Vendayn, January 5 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#20 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 5 2015 - 6:55 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I thought the rule for ants was that you can't transport queens specifically over state lines. Workers get shipped just fine. Wouldn't the same apply to termites? As far as I've read, the set only includes workers, not royals.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: termite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users