• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor Barbarus Begginer Questions

ants messor barbarus begginer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatLord - Posted March 5 2018 - 6:00 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationGreece-Chalkida

So i have a question for my soon to come messor barbarus colony and i prepared their nest from a screw box and iam now preparing their outerworld is it ok if use sand instead of dirt they don't  necesaryly need dirt do they they can use sand for their outerowlrd right?(i know stupid question just wanna make sure xD)

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 5 2018 - 6:08 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Sand is fine.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted March 5 2018 - 6:41 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
A sand-clay mix would probably be best (add water, paste it into the outworld and wait until it dried out and became solid). Messor love to dig and build and pure sand is probably not really suitable for that. As an intermediate solution sand definitely works.

Edited by Serafine, March 5 2018 - 6:42 AM.

• Barristan likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline CatLord - Posted March 5 2018 - 8:18 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

A sand-clay mix would probably be best (add water, paste it into the outworld and wait until it dried out and became solid). Messor love to dig and build and pure sand is probably not really suitable for that. As an intermediate solution sand definitely works.

Thanks!

#5 Offline CatLord - Posted March 5 2018 - 8:25 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

One question again since i don't wanna make another topic is this lid that i made ok for my soon to come emssor barbarus colony i made their nest and outerworld so i was wondering if this lid provides enough air for them or if i should make any modifications to it thanks again!

image: https://imgur.com/Z6L5BQB

(yes that's cotton)

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 5 2018 - 9:24 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I suppose this is for the outworld. I've used lids like that many times it works well but be sure after you close the box that there is no space between the corner and the lid. Some of my ants squeezed through the gap and entered those sectors then came out.

Edited by Jonathan21700, March 5 2018 - 9:26 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, messor barbarus, begginer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users