• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which is more accurate AntWeb or AntWiki ?

antweb antwiki

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted February 25 2018 - 1:00 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

So I'm trying to determine if Prenolepis Imparis (winter ants) are local to Ontario (my province).

As I mostly use AntWeb for info and reference so of course I checked there first and it seemed I was out of luck:

https://www.antweb.o...ntryName=Canada

But I happened to be on AntWiki looking at some other stuff when I decided to check what data they had on these ants and their distribution shows they are local (and oddly the only province with them):

http://www.antwiki.o...is#Distribution

So which one is correct? I assumed that most if not all such data would be precise, but I'm finding that is not the case. Is one source better than the other? Does the data fluctuate to such a degree that the info on these sites have to taken with a grain uncertainty? Is there a better source than these two?

And lastly, does anyone happen to know if I am likely to find Prenolepis Imparis in my area?

Thanks

Edited by Lazarus, February 25 2018 - 1:47 PM.

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline Hunter - Posted February 25 2018 - 1:23 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

Both are great

#3 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted February 25 2018 - 2:31 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Sometimes there are mistakes in both but it's usually rare. 

Also species distribution is often with missing locations so better check your country list directly: 

http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Canada

Edited by Jonathan21700, February 25 2018 - 2:34 PM.

• LC3 likes this

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 25 2018 - 3:14 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I would trust antweb more, as antwiki is still a wiki and can be edited by pretty much anyone.

EDIT: Although, if you want to know about native species, ranges, habitats, etc., I would recommend antmaps.org

Here's the range of Prenolepis imparis.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, February 25 2018 - 3:18 PM.

• Lazarus and DinoH like this

#5 Offline Lazarus - Posted February 25 2018 - 3:23 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Sometimes there are mistakes in both but it's usually rare. 

Also species distribution is often with missing locations so better check your country list directly: 

http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Canada

Interesting. So AntWiki contradicts itself!

I would trust antweb more, as antwiki is still a wiki and can be edited by pretty much anyone.

EDIT: Although, if you want to know about native species, ranges, habitats, etc., I would recommend antmaps.org

Here's the range of Prenolepis imparis.

Thanks! I found AntMaps.org a few months back but did not bookmark the link and could not find it again. And it shows Prenolepis Imparis in Ontario so that is good news as well.

I do realize that Ontario is huge so it does not mean they are necessarily in my area. But as I live relatively close to the states where they certainly do inhabit, the odds are they should around here and worth my time seeking them out.

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted February 25 2018 - 3:27 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Antwiki gets much of their info directly from antweb.

• LC3 likes this
Spoiler

#7 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 25 2018 - 3:27 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Interesting. So AntWiki contradicts itself!

Well, like I said, it is a wiki, which aren't always reliable.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, February 25 2018 - 3:28 PM.

#8 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted February 25 2018 - 7:25 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

AntWeb is a specimen database and not meant to be used as a comprehensive list of species in a geographic area--but it is helpful--so if you aren't seeing any specimen records of an ant in your area, that doesn't mean the species doesn't occur there. There are many, many collections not available in AntWeb and many more that aren't digitized in any way.

Unlike many wiki-style websites out there, not anyone can edit AntWiki pages. In fact, the process of becoming a contributor is quite strict. The only people editing and contributing to AntWiki pages are professional myrmecologists who are experts in their field. The information you get from AntWiki is reliable. As Martialis mentioned, the distribution map for Prenolepis imparis from AntWiki is pulled from antmaps.org, which is fed data from the Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics (GABI) database--a database similar to AntWeb which contains data from digitized museum records and published literature.

There are museum records in the GABI database from Ontario, though not around Ottawa; however, keep in mind not all--or even most--collections are digitized. Given the distribution of digitized records around that part of North America, I think it would be reasonable to expect P. imparis in your area. Hopefully that helps.

• nurbs, Ants4fun, Jonathan21700 and 5 others like this

#9 Offline Lazarus - Posted February 26 2018 - 8:23 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

There are museum records in the GABI database from Ontario, though not around Ottawa; however, keep in mind not all--or even most--collections are digitized. Given the distribution of digitized records around that part of North America, I think it would be reasonable to expect P. imparis in your area. Hopefully that helps.

Yes, as I dug into antmaps.org I could see the databases being used and even the URL for them. In this particular case: (Museum) Canadensys Database. Dowloaded on 5th February 2014 at http://www.canadensys.net/

Navigating www.canadensys.net was not as easy so I think I'll stick with antsmap.org as a starting point in the future, caveats and all.

Thanks!

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#10 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 24 2018 - 9:56 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Any luck? I looked around yesterday as well as today during lunch but I can't even find a colony.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antweb, antwiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users