• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Freeze-dried bloodworms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 7 2015 - 7:15 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Has anyone else tried these? Sold as fish food, analysis state "Minimum 50% crude protein". My Pheidole, Pogonomyrmex, Crematogaster all go crazy for it, dragging it away the moment I put it in. I'm hoping it will be a close substitute for insects when I don't have any on hand.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 7 2015 - 7:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've had positive experiences feeding freeze dried bloodworms to the species you mentioned, but receptivity is not everlasting.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 7 2015 - 7:51 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My Pogonomyrmex rugosus enjoyed these when I bought a container of these last year, but then the Solenopsis molesta colony that inhabits my kitchen wall got to the container and emptied it. These Solenopsis molesta also resulted in the demise of my superworm breeding project, where thousands attacked and dismembered the beetles. :/

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 7 2015 - 8:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I've had positive experiences feeding freeze dried bloodworms to the species you mentioned, but receptivity is not everlasting.

Hm, hopefully when that happens they'll once again want the stuff they're sick of now.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline SMILEforAnts - Posted April 8 2015 - 4:12 AM

SMILEforAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Hmmm I'm gonna have to try this someday. I used to buy a lot of bloodworms when I use to keep fighting fish.

SMILEforAnts [YouTube channel]

Pictures of my past colony [Pheidole megacephala]

#6 Offline CoolColJ - Posted February 27 2018 - 9:54 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Just a small bump  - :)

You can buy these from pet shops and aquarium places.

I tried feeding these to my young ant colonies of a few nanitics etc, after soaking them in purified water for 10-15 mins.
And so far, the 3 worms I dropped in have been gobbled up by my young ant colonies of a few members.

Makes a nice easy to use,  alternative protein source than insects

And they are small and thin enough, about the size of a medium sized ant that small nanitics can drag and chew them up. And completely finish since it's such a small serving.

Each small container has tonnes of them inside.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users