• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Camponotus ants smell?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Serafine - Posted December 12 2016 - 12:16 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Whenever I open the lid of my formicarium container I recognize a distinctive smell, something like a mixture of superglue and hairspray. First I thought it was the PTFE spray I used to make the sides of the container slippery but I'm getting more and more convinced that it is the ant colony (Camponotus barbaricus) itself that produces the smell, especially since their old container doesn't smell anymore after I moved them.
Anyone have experience with this?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 12 2016 - 12:38 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

All ants have a distinct odor when they are confined to small areas or are in large concentrations.

The only ants I've smelled are Solenopsis invicta, which make me think of fruity black pepper with a hint of rancidity.

I would assume Camponotus have an odor, and would be interested to know whether there is much variation in odor among different species of ants.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 12 2016 - 12:39 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 12 2016 - 1:34 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

The Atta has a very strong smell.

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 12 2016 - 6:04 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Every time i open my camponotus outworld for an airing, it smells like [censored]. Not like dead bugs or anything, just yuck.

Edited by dspdrew, December 12 2016 - 4:34 PM.
Removed profanity

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted December 12 2016 - 6:45 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Actually now that you mention it, my camponotus did kind of smell when i had them, however i thought it might have been the formicarium.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted December 12 2016 - 12:57 PM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

When I open the outworld there is no smell from them ( i got a camponotus sp. with 14 workers).

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted December 12 2016 - 1:01 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Formic acid sounds like you're describing.  I think it settles down in the outworld and rots and eats away at all the crud on the floor. I find my THA outworld has the strongest smell with camponotus in it out of all of them. Might be absorbed into the flooring.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline skocko76 - Posted May 30 2018 - 12:58 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I have a founding colony of C. barbaricus. 

I also noticed bad smell when airing their outworld... I did not feel it while the queen had only 2 nanitics. Now there are some 10 workers and it smells like poop these past couple of days.

I have been feeding them earwigs lately so I am hoping it is the earwig that provides the stench. As I understand, some of them are of a smelly variety.

We'll see if the smell goes away.

#9 Offline AntsMAN - Posted May 30 2018 - 6:02 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I have a Camponotus colony of approx. 300+ and I find their fecal residue smells like molasses.

Nothing strong, you have to get your nose pretty close to smell it.

The only time I ever smell anything rancid or bad is in the summer months, if I leave food in for to long.

Ventilation is key to keeping down odor. But as for the ants themselves smelling, we'll see as the colony gets bigger.

Spot cleaning every few days, Is a good practice to help prevent any unwanted odors.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users