• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis invicta Polygyny Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 20 2018 - 3:02 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

DISLAIMER: I caught a Solenopsis invicta queen (I couldn't find S. geminata for my life), so that I can keep a super agressive colony for a while. Once I'm done with them, I'm going to freeze them and use them as fertilizer for some plants. I will not release them or their alates into the wild.

The queen now has eggs, and maybe a couple larvae. Is it safe to introduce another queen, so long as she doesn't have workers?

Edited by Ants_Texas, January 20 2018 - 3:02 PM.

#2 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted January 27 2018 - 1:57 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Do NOT do that. Solenopsis queens will basically fight eachother until one dies. Either way, they will both probably get injured.

:>

#3 Online Mettcollsuss - Posted January 27 2018 - 3:14 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Solenopsis invicta is pleometroic. The queens will get along until the workers arrive, then they will begin to fight. They very rarely kill each other fighting, as once this behavior surfaces, the workers will pick off all but one queen.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 27 2018 - 3:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Solenopsis invicta is pleometroic.

Right idea. It is somewhat rare to see the term used as an adjective, however, and is typically expressed as the noun "pleometrosis." We would probably be more correct in saying S. invicta may found by pleometrosis or haplometrosis, but only polygyne variants will tolerate multiple gynes beyond the incipient stage of colony founding.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 27 2018 - 4:01 PM.

• nurbs and Mettcollsuss like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Online Mettcollsuss - Posted January 27 2018 - 4:20 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Solenopsis invicta is pleometroic.

Right idea. It is somewhat rare to see the term used as an adjective, however, and is typically expressed as the noun "pleometrosis." We would probably be more correct in saying S. invicta may found by pleometrosis or haplometrosis, but only polygyne variants will tolerate multiple gynes beyond the incipient stage of colony founding.

Haplometrosis?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users