• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need Help Preserving Ants

specimens preservation preserving ants tetramorium tetramorium immigrans tetramorium queen tetramorium immigrans queen queen ant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 21 2018 - 4:38 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have recently been looking into preserving ants. I don't have a lot of proper materials (still researching where to buy them), so I've been experimenting with other methods. I have plenty of bodies from a die-off in a Tetramorium immigrans colony to work with. One method that I tried is just adhering the dead bodies to a microscope slide with a little bit of Elmer's Glue.

Today an infertile Tetramorium immigrans queen died, and I want to be able to preserve her. With the workers, I can experiment around a little as I have plenty. With the queen, however, I only have one chance to preserve her correctly.

Is there a way to preserve ants using household materials? Keep in mind I want to be able to see these ants under a microscope.

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 21 2018 - 6:31 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Clear nail polish or similar on a point is the standard method. Hide glue is used commonly as well. However being water soluble I do not like it. DO NOT use elmers or other white glue, EVER.

http://www.acad.carl...nt/PINNING.html

http://www.antwiki.o..._Ants_for_Study

http://www.antwiki.o..._Ants_for_Study

Edited by gcsnelling, January 21 2018 - 6:31 AM.

• Martialis, Scherme and Mettcollsuss like this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 21 2018 - 2:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is there anything wrong with CA glue, that's what I have been using? It dries very quickly.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 21 2018 - 3:15 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Not that I am aware of. You need a glue that does not obscure features, will not allow the specimen to fall off in high humidity but is easily removable with a quick acetone soak.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: specimens, preservation, preserving ants, tetramorium, tetramorium immigrans, tetramorium queen, tetramorium immigrans queen, queen ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users