• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is hydrating a nest, necessary?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Noah Norman - Posted November 15 2017 - 6:21 PM

Noah Norman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
The biggest problem I face with creating nests for my ants, is the hydrating system. I know that ants do well with a moisturized nest or a hydrated nest, but is it really necessary for the ants life, will they really just die off without a moisturized nest. I am not talking about excluding a source of water for them, I all ways keep a test tube with water in their out world so they have something to drink.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 15 2017 - 6:35 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Ant larvae have thin skin and will dry out if humidity levels are too low. Even with species that live in drier nests, the nests are sealed and insulated in a way to maintain an optimal environment (eg. temperature, relative humidity) for brood development.
  • Kevin likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted November 15 2017 - 11:44 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It depends on the ant species. Many Camponotus species in particular have been proven to be very dry-resistent in recent studies, Camponotus pennsylvanicus larvae start to show deformations at 20% humidity which is WAY below the humidity level a normal room will ever have (you need an air dryer or climate control run on full power to get a room that dry) and Camponotus vagus can live in bone-dry wood. Myrmica ants on the other hand need it very very moist.

So depending on the species hydration my or may not be an issue.

• Reevak and bbishop3 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline GeorgeK - Posted November 16 2017 - 2:58 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Just adding in my experience, i keep Liometopum Microcephalum colony in wooden nest, and i have never had to hydrate nest, altho i have test tube with water connected directly to the nest rather than the outworld.

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted November 19 2017 - 3:00 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I don't think they'll die, but I suspect that conditions will be too harsh to grow new workers.
~Dan

#6 Offline anttics - Posted January 21 2018 - 1:54 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I think with desert species is possible. I have seen a video in youtube. of messor barbarus colony in a ytong 40 gal tank formicarium. he had test tubes or feeders with water on the out world. the ants would come out to get water. then spit the water on larva and eggs that need moisture. he told me the colony needs to be minimum 500. if they are in the thousands is even more safe. as more months would be able to carry even store more water for the brood, and ants. I have never tried it. so be sure you do more research on this subject. and make sure your ant species is one that needs the least moisture. tropical ants will die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users