• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Terrarium being taken over by mold

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 4 2018 - 9:43 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

My terrarium housing a Formica colony has recently been taken over by mold all over the surface of the dirt. There is no old food or anything that the mold is growing on, it just kinda covers the surface of the dirt. What should I do? There are already Millipedes, Snails, and Roly-Polys in the tank, but no springtails. Are they what I need? If so, how do I capture them effectively?

Thanks

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#2 Offline Hunter - Posted May 4 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

put salt on the mold and add slight water to it

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted May 4 2018 - 10:13 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

i do for every 2 tablespoons of salt 1 teaspoon of water

#4 Offline Waganga - Posted May 4 2018 - 12:26 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

If it won't hurt your ant species, I would dry out the terrarium a bit. You could try adding some cedar mulch to the surface, or you could try adding springtails or something else that would consume the mold. If it's still out of control, you might be wise to build a new, healthier terrarium to move the ant colony to. If you didn't include something to help regulate the water environment in the tank, like a variety of plants and/or an activated carbon layer, you'll probably keep struggling with molds or algaes. 

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 4 2018 - 9:32 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Springtails are a must for ant terrariums, I would suggest you add some in.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 5 2018 - 4:19 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Springtails are a must for ant terrariums, I would suggest you add some in.

How? I've set out some little cutouts of containers with a piece of apple and a little bit of wet oats and there are no springtails yet. I can't seem to find any anywhere and it isn't working yet to catch them.

#7 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 5 2018 - 4:21 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

put salt on the mold and add slight water to it

Are you sure this wouldn't hurt the terrarium or the ants? I've never heard of anyone doing this before and it doesn't seem healthy for the tank and it's inhabitants.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, May 5 2018 - 4:21 AM.

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 5 2018 - 6:02 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Short term addition of salt probably won't hurt but in the long term it is certainly going to poison it. I have never heard of this remedy. Just dry the thing out.

Edited by gcsnelling, May 5 2018 - 6:02 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#9 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 5 2018 - 4:35 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Good news, I managed to find a lot of springtails in my front flower bed. I scooped up some dirt that was crawling with springtails and dumped it on a plate which I placed in the middle of the terrarium. Hopefully they'll move into the tank over the night. I might do a few more rounds of this springtail relocation. That along with drying the tank out like you all said will fix this problem I'm hoping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users