• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to find Termite alates?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted December 9 2017 - 3:17 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

How do I find termite alates? I've never really seen any and I have no clue on how ti find them. Do they fly to blacklights or porchights? Do they fly into still water? 

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 9 2017 - 3:27 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I'm not sure. My mom won't let me keep termites. They do look like interesting pets, though.

• Spamdy likes this

#3 Offline Nare - Posted June 14 2018 - 2:22 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

So I too am looking for termites, and thus I've done a fair amount of research. This probably depends based on where you are, but for Southern Ontario (where I'm from), and thus the northeastern states, the eastern subterranean termite flies in the really early spring, but can also have smaller flights during the summer.

I've seen some journals where users catch them with blacklight traps, can't say how effective this is, I've never tried it myself. I've also heard that low humidity days can trigger flights. If they're in your area, I'd go anting as normal, and keep an eye out for insects running in pairs - you probably already know, but termites pair up and search for a suitable place to nest. You might find them around bright lights in the evening as well.

But (You might also already know this), you don't need to catch alates to start a colony - by grabbing some workers and some nymphs (Tiny little chubby white ones), you can start a colony (Or intrusion as it's called with termites), because as far as I'm aware, every termite egg is the same, and when they hatch into nymphs, the nymphs can become any cast - in the absence of the primary reproductives of an intrusion, alates, supposedly nymphs will molt into supplementary reproductives and start laying. I'm banking on this theory to start an intrusion of my own, should I find termites in the first place.

Anyways, best of luck.

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 14 2018 - 3:19 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Termites have flown in my area in the past month. It was the morning after a huge rain, and it was super hot. There were pairs of male and female termites tandem running everywhere. I didn't want to catch any though.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline BMM - Posted June 15 2018 - 5:43 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

There was a flight where I'm at not too long ago. Alates were everywhere for several hours that afternoon. I don't think I could have missed it.

#6 Offline littlebandicoot - Posted June 19 2018 - 4:46 PM

littlebandicoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBenson, Arizona

it really depends on where you are, Arizona is having swarms of them right now... or at least I am 

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted June 22 2018 - 7:54 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

it really depends on where you are, Arizona is having swarms of them right now... or at least I am

Can you send post an ID thread?

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted June 22 2018 - 8:05 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Termites have been flying here for the few past weeks. I haven't bothered to catch any though.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users