• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Washington State ants

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline prettycode - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:15 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Anyone have ANY experience in Washington State with finding queens? Or finding any sort of ant colonies?

I've already given up on finding a queen this season and am buying a few hundred harvester workers (sold as reptile food) to keep me occupied until next summer/fall when mating flights will take place.

At this point I'm thinking my best strategy will be to go over to Eastern Washington where it's more desert-like and look for newly-dug founding chambers to dig up, or if i can, catch some nuptial flights.

Edited by prettycode, December 11 2014 - 10:16 PM.

• Shareallicu likes this

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 11 2014 - 10:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This summer I was up in Idaho. I caught I think like 2 Formica ravida, 1 black parasitic Formica sp, 1 Formica integroides, and about 6 Formica cf. podzolica, 2 Camponotus sp, and one Tetramorium queen. I never really updated my thread with all the queens I caught, because I could not keep them anyway. Anting up there is really good- just go out into the forest, and if you can, invest in a black light trap.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 12 2014 - 4:46 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I would think western Washington, close to Olympic National Park, would also be great.

I've always wanted to go to there. The pictures I've seen make my heart stop.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 12 2014 - 3:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I know you're asking about Washington specifically, but you should read this thread (http://forum.formicu...or-when-anting/) if you haven't. There is a lot of general information on finding queens, and a lot of it could apply to where you are too.

#5 Offline prettycode - Posted December 13 2014 - 6:58 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Okay, so by all accounts, it should be a viable anting locale. I assume when you guys talk about going out into forests, you're specifically talking about during the time when nuptial flights are taking place, yes?

When I was a kid I used to witness the termites every (late) summer flying around. We'd take tennis rackets and see who could swat the most, as a kid.

Never have I seen ants flying around though. I mean, I know they do, and I'm sure I have, but I haven't been aware of it. Looks like I'm on my own next year--I'll need to be able to identify when and where myself. 

Thanks!

#6 Offline prettycode - Posted December 13 2014 - 7:00 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I know you're asking about Washington specifically, but you should read this thread (http://forum.formicu...or-when-anting/) if you haven't. There is a lot of general information on finding queens, and a lot of it could apply to where you are too.

I had seen this thread. Thank you though, it was enjoyable to look at again! Love those videos. Boy, if next year I could find swarming like that or queens digging founding chambers, I'm be one happy camper!

Edited by prettycode, December 13 2014 - 7:00 PM.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Okay, so by all accounts, it should be a viable anting locale. I assume when you guys talk about going out into forests, you're specifically talking about during the time when nuptial flights are taking place, yes?

If you're looking for queens, then yes, you have to go when they are flying. Many only fly during a specific time period. For some species, it might only be one day, so it'll take a lot of trial and error, and unfortunately, a little luck too.

#8 Offline prettycode - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:06 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

If you're looking for queens, then yes, you have to go when they are flying. Many only fly during a specific time period. For some species, it might only be one day, so it will take a lot of trial and error.

Man, that's discouraging. I could literally spend years trying to get a queen? Yikes. Maybe I'll just get really, really good at keeping harvester workers alive, lol.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha well, it's just probability, with the help of experience if you have it. It all depends how much you go out. I went out looking probably 50 times through last season, about 15 of those trips included 100's of miles of driving, and a few of them even included spending the night in my truck. :) We did pretty good last season though, as we actually rolled up on quite a few nuptial flights as they were happening. I ended up with around 450 queens, including about 20 different species. %)

#10 Offline benjiwuf - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:14 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

Then again you could be like me where I found most of my queens while at work. The main trick is to always keep your eyes open and scanning the ground and air.

• Shareallicu likes this

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted December 13 2014 - 8:53 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Your weather doesn't seem that different from Vancouver, BC.

Main thing is to keep your eyes open, it can be amazing what you will see when you are looking.

You might also just be far enough north to find queens and/or colonies in a slightly different manner than many of our southern members.  They deal with heat and drought, and their ants dig fast and dig deep.

More northern ants don't usually dig that deep.  I have a friend in Vancouver who always finds founding queens under rocks when working in his garden.  Just before noon, go turn over some rocks and see what you see.  If you see a queen (without wings) collect her first, then grab as many workers and brood as you can.  If you don't see her, try another rock.  Just before noon, most of the colony will be just beneath the rock warming up.  I have stumbled upon countless founding queens, and young colonies like this just when doing yard work.

Also keep an eye on the Ant Mating Flight chart, many members post when they see flights. If they are close to you, then go outside and check.

Do you have a dog?  Spoil him/her by going for walks in the morning, afternoon and evening, while looking for queens.

In my location, I have only once ever seen a founding chamber.  I have seen thousands of queens on flight, or scurrying along the pavement, or underneath objects yet I have only seen that one founding chamber...  I also find lots of Camponotus when splitting fire wood.

Best of Luck!  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline prettycode - Posted December 14 2014 - 3:37 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Main thing is to keep your eyes open, it can be amazing what you will see when you are looking.

You might also just be far enough north to find queens and/or colonies in a slightly different manner than many of our southern members.  They deal with heat and drought, and their ants dig fast and dig deep.

More northern ants don't usually dig that deep.  I have a friend in Vancouver who always finds founding queens under rocks when working in his garden.  Just before noon, go turn over some rocks and see what you see.  If you see a queen (without wings) collect her first, then grab as many workers and brood as you can.  If you don't see her, try another rock.  Just before noon, most of the colony will be just beneath the rock warming up.  I have stumbled upon countless founding queens, and young colonies like this just when doing yard work.

Also keep an eye on the Ant Mating Flight chart, many members post when they see flights. If they are close to you, then go outside and check.

Do you have a dog?  Spoil him/her by going for walks in the morning, afternoon and evening, while looking for queens.

In my location, I have only once ever seen a founding chamber.  I have seen thousands of queens on flight, or scurrying along the pavement, or underneath objects yet I have only seen that one founding chamber...  I also find lots of Camponotus when splitting fire wood.

When you mention stumbling upon founding queens in your yard, under rocks, when are you talking about? Spring? Summer? Fall? I've overturned hundreds of rocks and fallen logs in the last few weeks and have not found any ants. I've also broken apart a few dozen stumps. Lots of snail eggs. Lots of little slugs. Lots of worms. Lots of pill bugs. Some spiders. Few salamanders. Few weird grub things.

Not a single ant though.

I understand it's cold now and ants hibernate, but where the heck are they all? I don't understand how they can be everywhere in the summer and yet there's literally zero trace of them in the winter.

Edited by prettycode, December 14 2014 - 3:49 PM.

#13 Offline Crystals - Posted December 14 2014 - 4:37 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

In my location, I can generally find them under rocks and logs at any point of the year that does not have snow, minus the last month before the snow falls.

It is easiest in spring when ant activity is just starting, but easy thoughout the summer and early fall.

This was shot late June -

I suspect in about 2 months, or whenever you start seeing the first workers out and about, that flipping over rocks will have more results for you.  Late fall all of our ants disappear as well, deep in the ground resting for the busy season ahead.

• Shareallicu likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#14 Offline prettycode - Posted December 15 2014 - 8:31 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Thank you so much, Crystal, for posting this! It's very helpful to see! I think that what you said--when I actually start seeing ants around--then I know it's time I can start looking and probably finding with some success. This has renewed my hope!

#15 Offline Miles - Posted January 6 2015 - 6:00 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I have been through much of Washington state, and to the east are Myrmecocystus, Pogonomyrmex, and some other interesting species in the scrubland. Nearer the coast, like the Seattle area, seems to have a good population of Lasius pallitarsis and parasitic Lasius species, some Camponotus here and there, a ton of Formica pacifica and Formica cf. rufa (not rufa but similar. I haven't identified them… Possibly F. excectoides.), and some Temnothorax. Supposedly there is an introduced ponerine species, but I have yet to see that one.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 8 2015 - 6:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I could only imagine Myrmecocystus testaceus living that north.

#17 Offline Miles - Posted January 8 2015 - 8:18 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I could only imagine Myrmecocystus testaceus living that north.

My Advanced Environmental Science teacher has a doctorate in Entomology and he studied Central Washington's ants for quite some time and he told me that there are a handful of species present.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#18 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 11 2017 - 3:32 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Anyone have ANY experience in Washington State with finding queens? Or finding any sort of ant colonies?

I've already given up on finding a queen this season and am buying a few hundred harvester workers (sold as reptile food) to keep me occupied until next summer/fall when mating flights will take place.

At this point I'm thinking my best strategy will be to go over to Eastern Washington where it's more desert-like and look for newly-dug founding chambers to dig up, or if i can, catch some nuptial flights.

I did the same thing!!! I bought 1000 little girls harvester ants that were sold as reptile food, but really want a queen!   :)

#19 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 11 2017 - 3:35 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

When I was a kid I used to witness the termites every (late) summer flying around. We'd take tennis rackets and see who could swat the most, as a kid.

Never have I seen ants flying around though. I mean, I know they do, and I'm sure I have, but I haven't been aware of it. Looks like I'm on my own next year--I'll need to be able to identify when and where myself. 

Thanks!

I live in washington state too, and one time I saw a parade of ants flying off near our fence.  I was amazed and helped them walk up the fence to fly away, but I don't know what kind they were or anything.  Catching them would have been silly, since they were just taking off (before being fertilized) so they were still virgin queens/drones.  I wish I would see that again!

#20 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 11 2017 - 3:39 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

When you mention stumbling upon founding queens in your yard, under rocks, when are you talking about? Spring? Summer? Fall? I've overturned hundreds of rocks and fallen logs in the last few weeks and have not found any ants. I've also broken apart a few dozen stumps. Lots of snail eggs. Lots of little slugs. Lots of worms. Lots of pill bugs. Some spiders. Few salamanders. Few weird grub things.

Not a single ant though.

I understand it's cold now and ants hibernate, but where the heck are they all? I don't understand how they can be everywhere in the summer and yet there's literally zero trace of them in the winter.

This last summer I followed an ant carrying food from my back door to her nest!!  That is how I found the nest.  I am hoping to see them flying this spring now, and maybe (if i am lucky) I will catch a fertilized queen from there :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users