• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Finding Ants in Missouri

ant keeping nuptial flights queens starter queens missouri ants missouri new ant keeper test tube setups black lights ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline J_Train23 - Posted November 22 2017 - 1:46 PM

J_Train23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys. I literally just joined and have been interested in keeping ants for a while. But I finally got enough money to buy some equipment such as an outworld and a good nest. But I have not been able to find anyone who is selling a colony or a starting queen and I know that the nuptial flights have not started. If anyone knows where to buy an ant or any good tactics to catch them that would be great. I've heard people using black lights. Also can anyone give me specific nuptial flight periods so I know when to look. Thank you!

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted November 22 2017 - 8:43 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Since every species is different, really depends. Find out the species you have, then suggest finding easiest to keep. There is whole wiki page dedicated to info people who have posted here about it: https://www.antkeepi...e_for_Beginners

There are many species that fly in MO https://nuptialfligh...ing.wiki/test/ 

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline BMM - Posted November 28 2017 - 6:04 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I'm a little late to this topic, but here's what I found this past year in Missouri:

Camponotus in April and May

Tetramorium tsushimae in June and July

Temnothorax curvispinosus in June

Tapinoma sessile in June and July

Solenopsis molesta in June and July

Colobopsis impressa in June

Aphaenogaster in July

Brachymyrmex depilis in September

• J_Train23 likes this

#4 Offline AnthonyMarkman - Posted November 29 2017 - 8:30 AM

AnthonyMarkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

When I was at a large university, a grad student and I would go out in the woods with shovels, trowels and buckets and would turn over logs and rocks looking for ant colonies.  We ended up finding a colony of amber colored ants with their queen and brood.  We collected all of them and took them back to the lab and put them in a tub with an artificial nest.  The walls of the tub were covered with fluon so that the ants couldn't crawl out.  The point is, you don't have buy queens or wait for a nuptial flight.  Missouri is a huge state so there should be all kinds of habitat where you can look for ant colonies.

Edited by AnthonyMarkman, November 29 2017 - 8:32 AM.

#5 Offline J_Train23 - Posted December 2 2017 - 10:03 PM

J_Train23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys sorry. I've been a bit busy recently and haven't been able to check up on this. But thanks a lot for the help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant keeping, nuptial flights, queens, starter queens, missouri ants, missouri, new ant keeper, test tube setups, black lights, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users