• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What type of ants/species do you like best and why?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted October 26 2015 - 7:32 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

Hello, my best colony i have ever keep its temnothorax sp, and temnothorax albipennis.

Why, because i really like to look at it and i think that are more smarter than lasius flavus,lasius niger,formica fusca,myrica rubra,stigmatomma denticulatum ( i don't had a really succes with it, the colony died after 4 workers).

. (i saw that the colony do their own tactics to hunt) and every of it have diferent one sp and albipennis.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted October 26 2015 - 8:15 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

This could actually be a several different questions.  Are you just after ants we have kept - and reasons why?

What is your favorite species from those you have kept? (already a thread here - http://www.formicult...nt wish list)

This is a tough one, different species have different traits I like, and I have raised a lot of species over the years.  Camponotus novaeboracensis with their size and color, or Myrmica with their odd quirks, or Crematogaster with their shape and quick growth and other interesting behavior.

There is another thread for an ant wish list, of ants you hope to catch and keep that are in your area.  I can't find the thread at the moment, but it is out there.

Editted: removed some sections once OP clarified question.

Edited by Crystals, October 26 2015 - 11:38 AM.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted October 26 2015 - 9:09 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

Yep this is what i wanted to reffer but you know... my english :) thanks

I had a solenopsis colony on a flower bucket but when i saw how it hurt when the ant bite I was like " No No no I'm not gona taking that colony :)" and i don't like to keep ants if i don't have formicarium for it (i had just an 40x20 cm formicarium free but was a little too large for that ants) .

Edited by GeniusNutella12, October 26 2015 - 9:23 AM.

#4 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 26 2015 - 11:25 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Here's why I think that Solenopsis molesta is really unique:

* Colonies can have lots (18?) of queens.  This means faster growth.  Mine only have 2 or 3.

* In nature, they're almost parasitic.  They form tunnels into other ant nests, then they crawl into the host's brood chamber, let off a stink bomb, and carry off the brood (For more info: http://animaldiversi...nopsis_molesta/).

* They're the only colony I know of that someone has kept in captivity along with a different species with some success (For more info: http://www.formicult...ne-formicarium/).

* In nature, they're immune to invasive species of ants.

* They've got the stingers (coolness factor), but don't seem to like to use them (For more info: http://www.formicult...ta-stings-like/).

• ctantkeeper likes this
~Dan

#5 Offline Alza - Posted October 26 2015 - 3:21 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Neivamyrmex nigrescens. 

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 26 2015 - 3:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Fungus farmers and honey pot ants.

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 28 2015 - 6:34 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If I moved to England, I'd buy Pheidologeton so fast. Land, move into place, buy. No second thoughts. They replaced Leafcutters as my #1 favorite ant species. That species is amazing, tiny workers and huge majors/soldiers with huge colonies. The best ant species in the world to me.

In U.S, I like Pheidole megacephala the most. Not native in California, but super easy to keep. Except I had to freeze a couple of mine because they just got wayyyy too many and got mites somehow. Plus population issues. Even though I freeze all food and even freeze the dirt before putting them in. However, I still have a colony of them and they are doing great. They don't escape, eat a large variety of food and have supercolonies. Huge bonus, they don't sting like Argentine ants or Solenopsis invicta do. Argentine ants always give my mom an allergic reaction, but she had Ph. megacephala crawl on her from when gardeners brought them in on plants and no reaction at all. Only problem is I need to freeze a portion of them as they just grow and grow and grow.

For native ants, I prefer keeping...well...Pheidole...they get soldiers. They eat seeds. Always active and very hardy in captivity. However, I've never had a captive Pheidole colony (of the native kind) and only kept workers of them. Never once found a native Pheidole queen.

I also like Forelius pruinosus/mccooki. They have tons of queens in each colony, produce tons of brood in captivity, eat everything, extremely hardy (only ant out on pavement in 120 degree weather). Super easy to keep.

I also like Pogonomyrmex and Veromessor species.

Mostly though, I prefer ant species that start with Pheid...funny that...:P And other seed eating ants.

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 29 2015 - 5:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Pogonomyrmex or Pheidole.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 30 2015 - 6:19 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

pheidole, because they are the largest genera in the animal kingdom period. the genus has tons of diversity within it and consists of ants of all different shapes and sizes, diets and ways of life. not to mention they have MAJORS and SUPER MAJORS!!!! the caste itself is used in so many ways besides fighting such as a living door, a replete and even a vehicle minor workers can ride on into battle!!!! they are also used for carrying large loads, dehusking seeds and guarding important areas withing the nest. they are also very polygynus and are easy to culture from my experience (with some failures)

Edited by ctantkeeper, October 30 2015 - 6:20 AM.

#10 Offline yen_saw - Posted October 30 2015 - 9:30 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Fungus farmers and honey pot ants.

:yes:

#11 Offline AntsTexas - Posted October 30 2015 - 11:16 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

s. invicta / Pogonomyrmex's / honey pots ----   fun to watch!!!.....

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#12 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 31 2015 - 4:49 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Hey folks, please remember to
complete the "... and why?" part of the question too if you have some time. I too would really like to hear why your favorite is your favorite! :)
~Dan

#13 Offline anttics - Posted November 19 2017 - 9:30 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
harvesters ants. they are clean, and low maintenance. hardy to temperatures low and high. they have little mites, and other parasites. hardy to droughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users